Djallel Zouita (scirocco@gundam.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 14:49:13 +0200

Probe wrote:

> > > Greenish explosion?
> > It's more like green fumes in fact, it's followed by a "regular"
>
> Well, from what MS says it sounds like those "Green Fumes" may be in
> fact particles from the M-Craft system!

Yeah, that's pretty consistant. Basically, when battleships scatter M
particles, those particles aren't "concentrated" while here, we have a
high density M particles cloud (but what disturbs me is how you can make
a cloud with *this*, at this rate we'll learn M particles exist in
different states).

> > So did I, I can't see the point of using a Zaku head except for design's
> > sake, I mean the Zaku II isn't equipped with state of the art sensors
>
> That's right, a matter of fact, it would have been neat if the Asparas
> was doomed because it couldn't hardly see properly... It seems like it
> would be trivially easy to sneak up behind!

Yeah, but OTOH, it immediately detects the second sniper when it
approaches (you can even see the monoeye turning in the GM's direction).

> > Well, I checked again and in fact, the beam used to melt the EZ8's left
> > arm doesn't_come_from_the _Apsaras! It comes from the second GM Sniper's
> > long range beam rifle! Here's the explanation (that was my understanding
>
> Yow!
> Hey, isn't this the first time we've seen a _blue_ beam? Beam blasts in
> Gundam seem to be usually yellowish or something. Is it possible that this
> is actually a _laser_ weapon? It could explain the continuous beam as well
> as the power-lifetime and range!

Well, read again, I said the Apsaras's beam was blue, the GM fires a red
beam so that crumbles a bit that laser theory (but that would have been
interesting). I rewatchede some stuff last week (one or two 0083
episodes and a few Zeta episodes) and in fact, beams are always more or
less continuous (they last like 1,2 or even 3 seconds sometimes) but the
most striking example was Blan Blutarch's Asshimar: the beam seemed to
last a bit (but now I'm influenced by that long range beam rifle).
BTW, if it was using a laser, how do you explain the thing is named a
long range beam rifle? :-)

> Ah, so the Feds are trying to _capture_ the Asparas intact, eh? Cool,
> that makes sense... also, they should have been able to salvage it at the
> end, after all, it's only got a damaged cockpit.

No, once the EZ8's done with it, the Apsaras keeps flying (or rather
fallin) towards its own launch base, and when it finally falls in the
mountains (this base is a shallow mountain), you hear an explosion and
there's a lot of smoke coming out of it, so I guess a salvage wasn't
even on their minds any more.
BTW, I just figured that "base" Shiro and Aina end up in before Feds
soldiers investigate it in the ED isn't the wrecked Fed Base but
actually Ginias's.

> Cool! But I'm surprised the Asparas didn't loose it's cockpit when the
> GM did that.

That thing is quite big and the GM actually cut one of the "outer" parts
of the head (i.e not too near the cockpit). You wouldn't want the series
to end with Ginias being killed by a mere GM (ang then our heroic GM
handles Shiro's but to him and Frag triumphs over Love, quite an
ending!)

> > > And where where all those happy Guerrila fighters during this battle
> > Dunno, didn't see any of them but I think they were dealt with in
> > previous episodes. I definitely have to get back 9 and 10.
>
> Maybe they all got vaped?

No, I'm pretty sure they didn't.

> > > Cool! Just like a laser cutting beam or something, sweet!
> > Exactly, that's a great idea but I can't remember seeing it before in
> > any gundam show I've seen (but I haven't seen ZZ nor V).
>
> Like I said, I'm wondering if it really was a high-powered laser weapon
> and not a beam weapon.

No, see above for my explanation but I like that laser weapon theory,
that might be what Gundam lacks.

> > And in fact that "lighter" thing isn't that obvious on the lineart, I
> > compared them with the regular Ground use GMs from MS encyclopedia and
> > I'd say they're the same.
>
> I agree... they're simply recolors with a bigass gun!

Yes but that's far enough to make that variation great!

> That's a BIG HONKING GUN! For Zeon-Blasting FUN!
>
> He may not have class
> He may not have fun,
> But he'll bust ya' in the ass, with his big freakin' beam GUN!
>
> Pretty fly-- for a non-gundam!

Hehehe, he's not the kind of guy you'll call a cheap gundam downgrade if
you want to make it out alive!

> > > Heh heh heh... musta ran out of his medication.
> > Yeah, mind you, the episode opens on his nose bleeding (I even think he
>
> Maybe he was watching the bathing-scene from episode 2 on his little
> video monitor...

Or just watching 8MST 1-11 and wondering how he could lose against such
a bunch of losers...

> > > Definately sounds like it! But why the hell would a GM be carrying one
> > > of THOSE around? Oh yeah, real useful buddy.
> > Dunno, I guess the poor guy lost some bet and had to walk around
> > carrying that thing, this is the *only* rational explanation I can think
>
> Heh... given how rational 8MST is at times that explanation actually
> makes some twisted sense. Poor GM.

Mmm, life in MS Teams can actually be quite harsh. While Shiro and his
pals are having fun, others have to carry hyper hammers around.

> "Sheeet Captain! What am I supposed to do with this freakin' Ball on a
> chain? We've got a giant Mobile Monster out there with the belly-button
> lint cannon from HELL and all I got is a stupid spiked ball! Where am I
> supposed to put this, eh? (Swing swing) What am I supposed to do with this
> thing, bash him on the toes until he laughs to death?"

<grin>
A heart attack maybe: that's the kind of vision that lasts and has
coniderable effects on a pilot's pysche.

> > At least, the snipers are closer to Kelgeren. As for their number, two
> > Snipers are mentionned but I think it would be logical if we had a three
> > pack again.
>
> Hm... yeah, makes sense, maybe #3 got nailed when the bellybuster gun
> went off...

Yeah, too bad again the Gouf FT didn't fight them, it could have been
really funny.

> > > Yeah, what caused the fireball anyway? I'd expect a bunch of rocky
> > > debris, nothing more.
> > No, in fact, the explosion lasts for a few seconds and gives that
> > fireball effect.
>
> Weird... there wasn't some kinda 'secret base' inside the mountain was
> there?

It wasn't in *that* mountain (I guess a better translation would be
rumbling mountains). There are lots of mountains in this area as a
matter of fact.

> > > Ahh, I see... so the box-cover pic from the GFC never actually happens
> > Those 2 Gouf FT fighting in mid air?
>
> Yep, firing the big gatlings...

Mmm, wasn't there something close to this in the previous episode?

> > > I sure hope she realizes that falling 150feet straight down into a METAL
> > > hand can't be too comfy!
> > Yeah but after she's shot, she sustains at least a 15 feet fall into
> > this same hand.
>
> Oh, if he could have been using Microsoft Windoze for Mobile Suits:
>
> "Aina! My love! I shall catch you! Load Hand Driver, NOW!"
> (EZ8 catches Aina)
> "Now, I will bring you home! Hand program, retract!"
> (Microsoft office assistant, a little dancing Haro ball appears)
> "Damn you office assistant! Begone! Close!"
> (SQUISH!)
> "Oh my god! I closed the Hand Driver and the hand closed! Augh! Damn you
> Bill Gates!"

Yeah, the guy's a head in a jar in UC0079 (a la futurama), ruling a
secret empire (now that's interesting: he might just be the mastermind
behind the whole Jupiter Energy Fleet and his hand program version is
actually a cheap ripoff of the original one, "upgraded" every two years
or so: "Hand program 93 for Jagd Doga: sorry Keira, didn't see you
there!").

> > > Hrm... I see... kinda like a variable power beam cannon, eh?
> > Actually, blast 4 was a mistake and came from that sniper (see above).
> > But just after this, the Sniper is shot by a blue beam that must have
> > come from the Apsaras and this one is thinner so I think that variable
> > power theory is still consistent with what we have. The only matter is
>
> Now this is wierd, unless the other sniper started shooting the first
> sniper... this is beginning to sound a little three-stooges-ish though.

No, the blue beam comes from the Apsaras!

> > > Ah, so he sliced in and definately slayed Ginias, eh? Good!
> > Yes, definitely great news, this one *can't* come back, or can he?
>
> Oh I hope not!

(Crossbone gundam spoilers, as if anyone cared)
As a matter of fact, I just remembered that in Crossbone Gundam 5,
Seabook/Kinkedo suffers the same treatment: Zabine pierces X1's cockpit
with his beam saber (you see the beam saber 10 cm of Seabook's head
before the whole chest explodes). I only have issues 1-5 so I don't know
what happens further but I'm pretty sure Tomino didn't kill him off that
way, so he might have made it out of this one (but that looks really
impossible).

> > > Well, at least he's an honorable man!
> > Yes, if my understanding is correct, he is.
>
> Good, finally, a respectable Fed official.

Well, Corwen, Synapse and Revil were (the 2 latter didn't make it though
and the first vanished).

> > > Hrrrmph... it will be the first time during the entire 8MST series..
> > Yeah but the series was supposed to be about this, wasn't it?
>
> Yeah, but like most anime, the producers were too meek to bite the
> bullet and go for 'grit'.

That's too bad, gritty gundam's great (just have a look at some of
Kondo's stories) and it has a very dark feeling to it.