Djallel Zouita (scirocco@gundam.com)
Wed, 05 May 1999 13:55:18 +0200

Probe wrote:

> > that was my impression: it needs some huge power source and that wacky
> > battery looked like one to me (and yeah, it's huge).
>
> The thing is, the only picture I've seen of the GM with that gun is of a
> model of it (are we actually going to _get_ this model from Bandai, BTW?)

That's the reason I asked but it looks like it was only made to show
off, nothing more (too bad, I'd have loved to get this little guy, that
and Gouf FT would have made 8MST line rock!)

> holding the rifle off to one side... I don't see how it's possible for
> this GM to actually hold that huge gun with its huge telescoping sight up
> to its 'eyes' without tipping over! How did it handle this huge behemoth
> cannon in the anime?

Like a RL sniper in fact, running and holding the gun with both hands.
kneeling or lying to shoot. This guy looked quite realistic. But I don't
think the "eye" was that close to the telescoping sight.

> I wonder if this GM carries some sort of sidearm 'just in case'?

No, it looks like its only weapon is this fragging machine.

> > > gun was completely exhausted after that 10-second cookie-cutter-from-hell
> > (8MST ep 11 spoilers)
> > Well, considering the GM "cut" the Kelgeren and then blasted a gouf
> > flight type, I'd say it's very resourceful. The other "cut" (on the MA)
> > is made by the same sniper in fact. The other Sniper just shoots the
>
> WOW! That's a gun that could have won the 1YW! Imagine the short work it
> would have made of just about every monster Mobile Armor we've seen so
> far!

Yeah, but the situation wasn't exactly the same, I'd call this GM a
tactical weapon: you dispatch it when you're sure the target is in the
open and that there's nobody else, hence the situation with the Apsaras
was perfect. I mean you don't want your own guys to hinder you by
running around and risking to get cut by the long range beam rifle.

> > > How different is the name, wasn't it something like "GM Ground Use"? Of
> > It doesn't use the same kanjis, that's all, but *to me* the meaning is
> > the same.
>
> I see... well, it doesn't look like anything special, other than for the
> more 'subdued' camo color scheme...

Same here, I think the gun makes all the difference.

> > BTW, I posted art of the Apsaras and that GM:
> > http://www.multimania.com/aeug/Images/shinapsaras.JPG
>
> Hey, is it just me, or does the Asparas look _really_ goony with those
> giant giant "Balloon Knees" that it has? I mean, if you filled those
> things with helium instead of M-particles the thing could probably float
> away on them! And the giant tripod legs make it look like a reject from
> "War of the Worlds" or "Evangeleon"! That is just a really strange looking
> beast.

Yeah but it's looks way more like bigzam than before. And I prefer that
design to the old one. And that third leg is more like a stabilizer as I
previously stated. As for that Helium thing, it wouldn't be much use
since that's more or less the role of that M Craft.

> > http://www.multimania.com/aeug/Images/badassgm.JPG
>
> I officially suggest that the official name of this GM variant to be
> "RGM-79[GBA] GM BadAss Type". Hey, does that gun remind anyone else of the
> big sniper rifle from Evangeleon?

Yeah, the positron beam rifle, that BFG used during operation Mashima.
As for the official name, I have to agree here, RGM-79[GBA] definitely
suits this guy!