Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:41:04 -0700 (MST)

> > Entrenching tool??? THAT?? <shudder> I doubt it. The "tool" is a bit
> I tend to agree that it might be an earth-digging tool, although it would
> probably have to be removed from the arm-lock. alternatively, It could

  And it _does_ explain why it has that big grippy 'handlebar' on the top
of the shield... I can't think of any other explanation for it. Of course,
a simpler blade on the bottom would have made more sense.

> also be used as a sort of shield wall for human sized facilities, and the
> claws also make for mean hand-to-hand MS combat, which reminds me of a
> certain Kai Allard Liao and his mech with claws from BattleTech.

  Well, again, it's not quite blade-like enough for use in Melee combat
and even so, these robots are equipped with BEAM SABERS! I guess the
shield is, plain and simple, a model design gimmick!