ZAMBONY@mail.hitel.net
Wed, 5 May 1999 01:24:08 +0900 (KST)

Long long time ago, Dyar wrote:

>There's another aspect to this, too. The Moon Race/Earth Race (for want of
>a better term) dichotomy is also reminiscent of a book written in the 1960s
>by Arthur C. Clarke and later updated by him -- then updated by Greg Bear
>(or was it Benford? I forget!) just a few years ago. The original title
>was THE CITY AND THE STARS and the updated version is called AGAINST THE
>FALL OF NIGHT.

Excuse me, but isn't AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT the original and THE CITY
AND THE STARS the updated version? I just have read the translated Korean
version of the latter several years ago, and was really impressed by its
great storytelling and descriptions of the things to come.

>The setting is thousands, possibly millions, of years in the future. Earth
>is a desert except for the the City, Diaspar, which is the ultimate
>techological habitat, where everything is perfectly maintained by
>self-repairing robots and humans live in total leisure. Or so everyone in
>Diaspar thinks. Unknown to them, Diaspar has a reverse-twin, Lys, which is
>an idyllic symbiosis of humans and a somewhat tailored "Nature" where no
>machines other than those powered by muscle, wind and water are allowed.
>
>The hero "escapes" from Diaspar to Lys, only to rebel against both extremes
>and seek a middle ground. This he does in an ancient, abandoned starship
>-- the people of Diaspar and Lys turned their backs on the stars eons ago,
>burying the last ship in the desert for Our Hero to find and appropriate.
>This, it seems, was intentional -- the founders of Diaspar and Lys left
>this one ship, which contains both the Diaspar machine science and the Lys
>biological science, in the event that Someone might come along who could
>bridge the gulf between them....
>
>-Z-

Hey, that's the brilliant parallel. Maybe this could be THE idea Tomino
is hiding under his sleeves. Of course it is nothing more than a good fan
speculation until the real show unfold its secrets completely... But that
gave me an IDEA... <grin>

-Sunwook 'odyssey forever' Kim