Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Mon, 03 May 1999 14:08:59 PDT

> > One thing I was unable to understand was the 1999 settings. Why have
> > everything shown from this period when the actual events are
> > happening a hundred years in the future? Why couldn't Keanu call up
> > that futuristic electro-rifle the had on the ship in the Matrix
> > fight scenes?? If they could bend or break the laws of reality in
> > fighting, why not grow claws, or armor or stuff?
> >

>Agent Smith explained that setting. It was the zenith of Man's
>accomplishments or words to that effect. It was what the humans
>jacked into the Matrix wanted to accept most (the first, idyllic
>attempt was a disaster, he said). So, give them what *they* felt was
>the best. And what was there to add to it? the actual human/AI war?
>Just keep things as they were, everyone's happy. Except those few
>who feel that it's a lie.

Interesting plot device to start the movie in the Matrix simulation
of 1999, but more settings should have been explored instead of
turning into a John Woo film. Personal gripe, sorry.

>They also said they really couldn't understand the Matrix's code.
>So, they were not able to wholy reinvent the wheel and give themselves
>extra limbs or energy weapons or whatnot. The rules were not of their
>creation, but of the AI's. If I tell you how DNA works and what the
>acids are there for does that give you the power to breathe underwater?
>Who says that with a little more concentration Neo couldn't grow claws?
>It's for a sequel to discuss.

Pretty vague in a Newtype-ish kinda of way..

> > Are hearty attempt at a quality story, and I did walk away seeing
> > the effort put into it. But fell a little short to me...
> >

>Given the premise, they nailed it. There're a series of facts that are
>not known about that universe. How much info, exactly, was being
>pumped into the human brains in the Matrix through that head jack?
>Could more be fed? Could an output line be added to affect changes?
>Were humans that were "grown" the only change? Might there have been
>genetic changes as well, maybe to make humans more accepting of the
>Matrix setup? What was the Matrix, physically? Where were the various
>AIs during all this, typically? It was implied that they might not
>find the Matrix so inviting. So, is there a separate virtual world
>that they inhabit or are they sentient physical beings like the
>sentinels? Are the sentinels sentient or just the equivalent of
>dobermans? Without that info and more any "dissatisfaction" based
>on presumed story shortcomings is pointless.

The premise was so gray, as was the movie overall (The humans blocked
out the sun so the solar-powered AI would crash?Huh? We, uh, kinda
need the sun ourselves, the last time I checked) Everyone pretty
much acted like each other for the most part, except for the token
"goofy guy" on the ship. Given it is a dire situation, but it took
itself a little too seriously. Maybe the sequel will be a musical.

Mark Kai