Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:43:26 -0700 (MST)

> Yeah, I don't think I exagerated the thing but this thing has a great
> range. But I might be totally off scale, I mean I'm not used to seeing
> such impressive weapons used on Earth, but it truly looks destructive.
> So much for realism I guess.

  Yeah, well... the BigZam had a bellybutton buster beam too, but I don't
think it was anywhere NEAR this powerful!

> > has legs then it definately looks like a Bigzam prototype. Actually, I'm
> Yeah, in fact there's a third leg, which looks more like a tail. I think

  I sure _hope_ so!
  Speaking of tails, I really hate those wierd fins the Asparas has
sticking out on its shell... it looks awfully strange. And why does it
need all those giant studs on its 'shoulders'?

> it's a stabilizer of some sorts. It would sound logical to use *three*
> legs to keep such a mass balanced but I don't think it has a great
> movability in this mode (I'll have to check).

  Makes sense to me...

> As for the two "regular" legs, they have some pods where the knees
> should be (for flexibility's sake I guess) but those pods are more or
> less this MA's weak point since the GM Sniper actually destroys one of
> them (and there's some greenish explosion, I couldn't figure that one).

  Greenish explosion?
  Is it possible that these pods aren't the joints but some kind of
hydraulic cylinders for pressurizing the joints in the legs, etc?

> > middle there though... maybe it has a "Core Zaku"? (laughs). Maybe it was
> Hehehe, I don't think so, but I'd love to see a Zaku getting out of that

  It would be pretty hilarious, and frankly I was almost expecting it at
one point.

> Well, the Apsaras uses another, far thinner blue beam to shoot the GM
> Sniper and I also think the beam used to fry the EZ8's arm isn't the big
> one. Those two beams aren't as demanding as the big one since I don't

  Interesting! Any idea where this auxiliary weapon is located, or is it
also fired out of the same bellybutton gun?

> Yeah, but apparently, there's some Absolute Terror Field that keeps them
> from approaching: I mean this MA has a great firing range so they
> probably didn't want to get their collective butts fried before they got

  Grrr! Then just don't group up! Spread out, he can't hit all of you!
Hell, sneak up _BEHIND_ the damn monster and shoot him up the butt!

> No, he shares Aina's "this is my war" attitude and I'm not sure he
> trusts them that much: if they were all put in a win or lose situation
> and had to kill Aina, I think the 08th MS team members would do it while
> Shiro wouldn't and would try to use the power of luv

  Grr... that's because he's a hopless ninny!
  And where where all those happy Guerrila fighters during this battle
anyway?

> I think the whole "I target Shiro's head" picture was just done to be
> put in teasers and that kind of stuff (a friend of mine told me that the
> word "desertion" is on every pamphlet).

  Psssfffft. I can see that, it's just a cheap advertising stunt to beg
people to watch this show.

> > the Kelgeren with? If so, why not just shoot down the Asparas?
> No, they used the GM Sniper again. But the interesting part is how the
> Kelgeren is destroyed: the beam fired by the sniper is continuous (I'm
> not sure this is the correct word but I'd say it's a coherent ray): it
> lasts something like 10 seconds and the Sniper uses it in a surgical way
> to cut the Kelgeren. I think this is the first time I've seen beam used

  Cool! Just like a laser cutting beam or something, sweet!

> that way, it's as if the shooter kept his finger on the rifle's trigger.

  Yeah, it's way cool that the GM can pull this off, makes you wonder why
they can't seem to do it when they're shooting at Zakus though.

> As for why they didn't shoot the Apsaras, I'm not sure (I didn't catch
> every bit of dialogue in the episode, particularly when Eesan and Kojima

  Hrrm... I'm sure there was some kind of BS explanation.
  "Sir, it's standing right over a Duncan-Donuts restaurant! If we destroy
it, all those innocent donuts may be lost!"
  "NooooO! Hold your fire men!"

> > > machine (on something that looks like a diving board) to talk again.
> > They should have used the opportunity to shoot her!
> Yeah, and that would have shown what bastards are the Feds. She did it
> out of pure good will, to show them her clean intentions, that would
> have been everything but fair.

  True, but her Brother goes ahead and breaks their little agreement like
10 seconds later, if I were the base commander I'd say: "Offer
Accepted... OPEN FIRE MEN!" It's better to make a truce than to wage war,
but even better to make SURE your enemy can't hurt you.

> > GMs? What do the rifles look like?
> They definitely don't look like 0080 GM snipers. They're green GMs, with

  Hmm... Then I think I've seen some modified 8MST GMs made to look like
these guys!

> apparently no special feature (they look lighter than regular GM). I

  Like "GM Light Armors"? Hm! Do they have the special forehead-sight?

> think they call their rifles long beam rifles (but there's no comparison
> with Super Gundam's long beam rifle); basically, those rifles are longer
> than the others and they look bigger too. Looks like they use E pacs
> too.

  Excellent! Badass beam rifles, probably even better than the original
Gundam's rifle, eh?

> > Jions are such jerks!
> Yeah, but Ginias is sooooooo crazy (BTW, he distorts his face in
> incredible ways in this episode).

  Heh heh heh... musta ran out of his medication.

> > That's gotta be at least a sunburn for her!
> No, she gets nothing there, she's just bruised a best.

  Grrr.

> > Hyper-Hammers? After all, the Gundam itself only used it once, right?
> I think so. But I'm pretty sure it was a hyper hammer. I've never seen
> any other weapon made with a chain and a spiked ball! So correct me if
> I'm wrong but *this* is a hyper-hammer!

  Definately sounds like it! But why the hell would a GM be carrying one
of THOSE around? Oh yeah, real useful buddy.

> > ASPARAS!!! Why aren't they shooting the Asparas _first_!?
> Because the Kelgeren is an easy target and again, I guess the Apsaras is
> too far.

  The Kelgeren is closer than the Asparas? Interesting.

> Yeah, that's the strange part, no MS except that (or those?) GM Sniper
> got close enough to attack it.

  How conveeeenient.

> Yeah, and I liked the way it was rendered but the fireball thing is too
> gross.

  Yeah, what caused the fireball anyway? I'd expect a bunch of rocky
debris, nothing more.

> > What happened to its Gouf-Flight-Type bodyguards anyway?
> The Gouf Flight Type Guards actually got in the Kelgeren when Aina
> managed to deal its escape (my mistake, sorry) and the Gouf FT shot by
> the GM Sniper is one of those Goufs.

  Ahh, I see... so the box-cover pic from the GFC never actually happens
in the anime, oh well.

> So either Aina has a death wish, either she knew Shiro would rescue her
> by catching her in the EZ8's hand (more likely).

  I sure hope she realizes that falling 150feet straight down into a METAL
hand can't be too comfy!

> > You know, why didn't he just SHOOT the Asparas _first_ and THEN come
> > running out of the cockpit? How stupid is this guy? These people are
> I guess that's what you call an anime dramatic effect. I'm sure they

  Yeah... growl...

> made this part to put it in trailers and ads. I think someone here said
> he had seen that picture of Shiro with Aina's lifeless body in his arms.

  Sounds like another cheapo marketting ploy.

> > Come on GMs... you aimed for its LEGS?
> That's a clever choice: the legs look really frail compared to the main
> And mind you, there's a shot in the head of the thing juste before.

  So maybe they already took out its sensor systems, etc, and decided that
there was no weak point to exploit?

> > Why did he leave Kojima? How small is this base if it doesn't even seem
> Sounds strange too but I think it stems from my misunderstanding rather
> than plot inconsistencies (at least, I hope).

  Hrrrmmm... I hope so too.

> > Oh Gosh... that's the stupidest thing I've EVER seen in Gundam! Gaaah!
> Actually, this is a trick used in countless movies and anime but this is
> just ridiculous.

  I know, painfully so....

> > 3. Blast #3, Vaporizes a friggin MOUNTAIN
> > 4. Blast #4, Damages an already damaged arm on the EZ8 and cuts
> Blast 4 doesn't use the same caliber I think and blast 5 looks
> different: the energy isn't gathered the same way but it takes a longer
> time to gather.

   Hrm... I see... kinda like a variable power beam cannon, eh?

> IIRC the EZ8 was out of ammo at the end of episode 10 (using its left

  Ah, I see...

> Maybe but since it lost its leg, the Apsaras has been moving, so I guess
> it came into firing range.

  The bloody thing CAN still fly around, right?

> > Should have sabered the cockpit instead of punching! I would have tossed
> Here, it's definitely my mistake: I watched it again and couldn't figure
> why he would have punched the MA while 1 minute ago he was igniting his
> beam saber. In fact, you don't see the EZ8's hand, it's already in the
> Apsaras's cockpit, so he must have used his beam saber, not his punch.

  Ah, so he sliced in and definately slayed Ginias, eh? Good!

> > Hey, that's not fair! Why didn't he just LEAVE with everyone else? Seems
> > pretty pointless for him to die that way.
> I think that's the "I sink with my ship" part. This might be explained

  Well, at least he's an honorable man!

> > He's a Newtype! Augh!
> Hehe, he's more likely a Bandai agent trying to get pre orders for last
> report.

  GRIN! You half expect him to turn and say:
  "Hey Gang! If you want to learn more about my friend Captain Shiro, be
sure to buy 'Last Report', available soon! And pick up some Gundam Models
while you're at it to make your own mobile suit team! Stand up to the
victory! Also, Eledore's flaming-love music CD, on sale now, from Bandai!"

> > Great... we're gonna have another spinoff-series/side-story. Blah. So
> > he'll be the Federation Kelly Layzner.
> That's the first thing I thought. I reckon they made this to give a
> human and realistic aspect to that war.

  Hrrrmph... it will be the first time during the entire 8MST series..

                                                                -Probe