Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:17:41 -0700 (MST)

Forwarded message:
From JHFong@aol.com Wed Apr 28 23:56:49 MST 1999
From: JHFong@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 02:54:53 EDT
Subject: Turn-A Gundam is a GOOD show?!
To: nandy@U.Arizona.EDU

Subject: [Impression] 1999 April new shows
>From: TAKEUCHI Shouichi <VZZ00362@nifty.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, Apr 27, 1999 8:18 PM

[...]

"TurnA GUNDAM"

#1 ... ehh ... Is it GUNDAM ? Didn't I misconfigured my VCR ? NO!

Well, #1 described the earth of which civilization has degraded
to "between the the Industrial Revolution and the Mass Production".
People are worrying about the war against the Galia continent,
but the rumor is intentionally spread by the government to
reinforce the military strength for preparing the coming of
the MoonRace. Rolan and his friends were sent to the Earth,
and blended with the Earthian society. Rolan is hired by Mr.Haim,
the influential person of the village, and his 2nd daughter
Socie looks interested in Rolan :-)

In #2, during the initiation rite of Rolan's village, the MoonRace
starts attacking to return to the Earth, and the "military strength"
of pre-mass production Earth is meaningless against them. Suddenly,
WhiteDoll, the statue of diety of the village, reveals its true
appearance: the white mobile suit. When Rolan and Socie get on
the cockpit of the white MS, it suddenly starts and fight against
MoonRace's MSs.

Writing and directing are pretty well done. Few explanations are
given, but you can see the situation of the pre mass-production
Earth and about characters.

Mechs ? Well, moustache Gundam doesn't look that silly. MoonRace's
MSs such as Flad and WaDome look ... ah ... real.

As an old-type anime fan who was hooked on the first GUNDAM and
enjoyed BrainPowerd as a "revival as a director " of TOMINO,
I'll follow up this series, too.