Djallel Zouita (scirocco@gundam.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:46:43 +0200

Probe wrote :

> > Ok guys, here's my summary (I hope it's not too dull). I'll scan and
>
> Hey cool! Thanks a bunch!

You're welcome and thanks to your comments I think I'll edit it to make
it more clear.

> > Rumbling Mountain, part 2:
> > The episode opens on Ginias and Aina getting in the completed Apsaras 2.
> > They start kicking Federation butts immediately: the Apsaras unleashes a
> > beam that leaves a burnt scar for kilometers in the forest. Please note
>
> YARK!
> Now that's a "Bustaaaahh Beeeaaaam!" It sounds more powerful than any
> beam-cannon seen to date, after all, most guns don't even have a range of
> more than a Km or so in the Gundam universe!

Yeah, I don't think I exagerated the thing but this thing has a great
range. But I might be totally off scale, I mean I'm not used to seeing
such impressive weapons used on Earth, but it truly looks destructive.
So much for realism I guess.

> > the Apsaras actually unfolded some kind of legs, making it look more
> > Bigzamish than ever.
>
> Wow! I don't think the model has that option, but really, if the Asparas
> has legs then it definately looks like a Bigzam prototype. Actually, I'm

Yeah, in fact there's a third leg, which looks more like a tail. I think
it's a stabilizer of some sorts. It would sound logical to use *three*
legs to keep such a mass balanced but I don't think it has a great
movability in this mode (I'll have to check).
As for the two "regular" legs, they have some pods where the knees
should be (for flexibility's sake I guess) but those pods are more or
less this MA's weak point since the GM Sniper actually destroys one of
them (and there's some greenish explosion, I couldn't figure that one).

> happy to hear that. Still don't see why it just has a Zaku-head in the
> middle there though... maybe it has a "Core Zaku"? (laughs). Maybe it was
> inspired by the Dendrobium?

Hehehe, I don't think so, but I'd love to see a Zaku getting out of that
thing.

> Does the Asparas have any _other_ weapons besides its big buster
> bellybutton blaster? What did it shoot at? Did the Flying Goufs get to do
> any damage?

Well, the Apsaras uses another, far thinner blue beam to shoot the GM
Sniper and I also think the beam used to fry the EZ8's arm isn't the big
one. Those two beams aren't as demanding as the big one since I don't
think they need any kind of energy gathering (but again, I'll have to
check).

> > 8th MS Team members are appaled by such firepower but they immediately
>
> But all they really need is just one clean hit with a beam rifle and
> it's all over.

Yeah, but apparently, there's some Absolute Terror Field that keeps them
from approaching: I mean this MA has a great firing range so they
probably didn't want to get their collective butts fried before they got
a chance to perform a clean hit.

> > have to face another concern: Shiro tells them he's quitting the army.
> > Karen immediately reacts and targets Shiro with her machinegun. Sanders
> > notices she's targetting him and we get 2 sets of flashbacks: first,
> > Karen is given orders by Kojima (that "kill Amada if he's a traitor"
> > thing) while Sanders gets some too (by Kojima again) but I'm not sure I
> > understood correctly what was said here. Back to present, Karen finally
>
> So I guess this means she assumes that he's switching sides? I don't
> quite understand why Shiro didn't just order his unit to follow him after
> the Asparas....

No, he shares Aina's "this is my war" attitude and I'm not sure he
trusts them that much: if they were all put in a win or lose situation
and had to kill Aina, I think the 08th MS team members would do it while
Shiro wouldn't and would try to use the power of luv

> > shoots as Shiro's EZ8 moves but she misses (and that looked on purpose
> > to me).
>
> Darn!

I think the whole "I target Shiro's head" picture was just done to be
put in teasers and that kind of stuff (a friend of mine told me that the
word "desertion" is on every pamphlet).

> Did the base have some sort of long-range artillery that they could hit
> the Kelgeren with? If so, why not just shoot down the Asparas?

No, they used the GM Sniper again. But the interesting part is how the
Kelgeren is destroyed: the beam fired by the sniper is continuous (I'm
not sure this is the correct word but I'd say it's a coherent ray): it
lasts something like 10 seconds and the Sniper uses it in a surgical way
to cut the Kelgeren. I think this is the first time I've seen beam used
that way, it's as if the shooter kept his finger on the rifle's trigger.
As for why they didn't shoot the Apsaras, I'm not sure (I didn't catch
every bit of dialogue in the episode, particularly when Eesan and Kojima
are discussing, so it might have slipped).

> > first time but then, Aina opens the MA's cockpit and goes outside of the
> > machine (on something that looks like a diving board) to talk again.
>
> They should have used the opportunity to shoot her!

Yeah, and that would have shown what bastards are the Feds. She did it
out of pure good will, to show them her clean intentions, that would
have been everything but fair.

> > Kojima finally accepts and asks the GM Snipers to be on standby (to
>
> Cool! GM Snipers! Do they look like the 0080 ones or like modified 8MST
> GMs? What do the rifles look like?

They definitely don't look like 0080 GM snipers. They're green GMs, with
apparently no special feature (they look lighter than regular GM). I
think they call their rifles long beam rifles (but there's no comparison
with Super Gundam's long beam rifle); basically, those rifles are longer
than the others and they look bigger too. Looks like they use E pacs
too.

> > Eesan Reyer's dismay). So the Kelgeren begins to soar, but Ginias being
> > such a sick puppy, he fires again on the Feds (while his sister is still
>
> Jions are such jerks!

Yeah, but Ginias is sooooooo crazy (BTW, he distorts his face in
incredible ways in this episode).

> > outside the MA, just above the main cannon). Several Fed MSs get
>
> That's gotta be at least a sunburn for her!

No, she gets nothing there, she's just bruised a best.

> > thrashed as a result: GMs from 2nd, 3rd and 6th MS Teams (I'm
> > mentionning this because that GM from 6th MS Team has a *hyper hammer*
>
> It was carrying a WHAT!? Really? What the hell is this obsession with
> Hyper-Hammers? After all, the Gundam itself only used it once, right?

I think so. But I'm pretty sure it was a hyper hammer. I've never seen
any other weapon made with a chain and a spiked ball! So correct me if
I'm wrong but *this* is a hyper-hammer!

> > Federation's retaliation is immediate: Kojima orders the GM Snipers to
> > shoot the Kelgeren, what is done quickly and nicely. Aina is shocked but
>
> That's stupid... forget about the Kelgeren... SHOOT THE FREAKIN'
> ASPARAS!!! Why aren't they shooting the Asparas _first_!?

Because the Kelgeren is an easy target and again, I guess the Apsaras is
too far.

> > her brother asks her to keep watching: a damaged, lone Gouf Flight Type
> > managed to get out before the ship was destroyed and Kojima orders the
> > snipers to shoot it, no matter how defenseless it is. Seeing this, Aina
>
> Well yeah, they're pretty ticked off, but I still don't understand why
> they're not shooting the Asparas!
>
> > already begun heating the main cannon for another shot, Aina being in
>
> And if there was any logic in the universe, you'd expect at least a
> half-dozen grenades and bazooka rounds to be inside that main cannon by
> now, fired by GMs!

Yeah, that's the strange part, no MS except that (or those?) GM Sniper
got close enough to attack it.

> > mountain, Sanders and Karen's MSs have to kneel before the hovertruck
> > (or whatever is that thing's name) to protect it from the incoming
> > shockwave.
>
> Cool! Blast damage!

Yeah, and I liked the way it was rendered but the fireball thing is too
gross.

> SO I guess the Asparas didn't actually hightail it very far away from
> the site of episode #10, eh? Otherwise Shiro's damaged team wouldn't have
> been able to be so close... of course, why the HELL did he say he's
> quitting the army when all he has to do is jog less than a mile away?

Yes, everything is taking place in that area but I don't have any idea
of the real scale because that fireball is *huge* (it made a huge hole
in a mountain!)

> > After this, Aina and Ginias have a final argument and as Aina opens the
> > cockpit hatch to exit, her brother (gone totally postal) shoots her in
>
> Exit? Is the Asparas sitting on the ground or something?
> What happened to its Gouf-Flight-Type bodyguards anyway?

The Gouf Flight Type Guards actually got in the Kelgeren when Aina
managed to deal its escape (my mistake, sorry) and the Gouf FT shot by
the GM Sniper is one of those Goufs.
And it's not sitting on the ground at all: I'd say it must be at least
50 meters above the ground (but it might be far more: the only
indication is that at the beginning you see two Goufs flying far in
front of it and the legs are bigger than the two Goufs together, I'm not
clear here but I think you get the picture).
So either Aina has a death wish, either she knew Shiro would rescue her
by catching her in the EZ8's hand (more likely).

> > the chest. Deadly hit, Aina falls but the EZ8 catches her in its hand.
>
> Cool! Finally!

Sorry for the

> > of Galactic Heroes). Carrying her lifeless body in his arms, Shiro
> > stands on his lying MS and faces the Apsaras, swearing he'll kill
> > Ginias.
>
> You know, why didn't he just SHOOT the Asparas _first_ and THEN come
> running out of the cockpit? How stupid is this guy? These people are
> acting like a soap opera! I mean, standing outside your helpless robot
> while a GIANT monster-MS is hovering above you, while you threaten its
> pilot? That Asparas could squash him with its exhaust!

I guess that's what you call an anime dramatic effect. I'm sure they
made this part to put it in trailers and ads. I think someone here said
he had seen that picture of Shiro with Aina's lifeless body in his arms.

> > (Beware! Cheesy part!)
> > As Ginias is about to fry Shiro, Aina actually wakes up, which
>
> Pffft...
>
> > unbalances Ginias, at the same time a GM Sniper shoots the Apsaras and
> > destroys one of its legs, but the MA fires again. Shiro and Aina run for
>
> Come on GMs... you aimed for its LEGS?

That's a clever choice: the legs look really frail compared to the main
part.
And mind you, there's a shot in the head of the thing juste before.

> How can Aina "Run for Cover" when she's been shot in the back? Or was
> she wearing a BP vest? (Convenient)

My mistake, again: when Ginias shot her, she was looking at him so she
wasn't shot in the back. Anyway, they aren't really running, they are
more like carried away by the blast.

> > Meanwhile, Eesan evacuates the base in the 8th team hovertruck, leaving
> > Kojima behind.
>
> Why did he leave Kojima? How small is this base if it doesn't even seem
> to have its own trucks?

Sounds strange too but I think it stems from my misunderstanding rather
than plot inconsistencies (at least, I hope).

> > to see Aina alive. Aina survived her brother's assault thanks to that
> > watch of hers: the bullet hit the watch (waaaay cheesy) and so she
>
> Oh Gosh... that's the stupidest thing I've EVER seen in Gundam! Gaaah!
> What is this, Captain Tyler?

Actually, this is a trick used in countless movies and anime but this is
just ridiculous.

> > survived: that's why there was no blood spilling from the injury.
> > The power of luv part begins: they hug and walk together toward the EZ8.
>
> BAAAAAALLLLLGH! ARGH! Why can't Karen STOMP both of them right now with
> her gundam?
>
> > The Apsaras fires once on the EZ8, finishing off its left arm and
> > blowing open the cockpit hatch, so Shiro and Aina can face Ginias. The
>
> You know, I don't get it: Here's the Asparas's track record:
> 1. Blast #1, Vaporizes square KILOMETERS of forest
> 2. Blast #2, Vaporizes about a dozen GMs
> 3. Blast #3, Vaporizes a friggin MOUNTAIN
> 4. Blast #4, Damages an already damaged arm on the EZ8 and cuts
> open a couple cms of cockpit armor.

Blast 4 doesn't use the same caliber I think and blast 5 looks
different: the energy isn't gathered the same way but it takes a longer
time to gather.

> > EZ8 stands before the Apsaras and switches its beam saber on. Ginias
>
> Hm.. I would have at least used a rifle, or my vulcans... after all, to
> avoid a Beam Saber all Ginias has to do is take one big step backward! (or
> fly away!)

IIRC the EZ8 was out of ammo at the end of episode 10 (using its left
arm and stuff).

> > begins to input lots of numbers in the Apsaras (I guess that's to make
> > him look demented) and the MA begins gathering energy again. Kojima
>
> Sheesh guy, just FLY BACK a little bit and you'll be safe!
>
> > orders the base cannons to fire. Now, that's the "Shiro and Aina's love
>
> Which he should have ordered ten minutes ago!

Maybe but since it lost its leg, the Apsaras has been moving, so I guess
it came into firing range.

> Should have sabered the cockpit instead of punching! I would have tossed
> my saber _in_ the Asparas's cannon!

Here, it's definitely my mistake: I watched it again and couldn't figure
why he would have punched the MA while 1 minute ago he was igniting his
beam saber. In fact, you don't see the EZ8's hand, it's already in the
Apsaras's cockpit, so he must have used his beam saber, not his punch.

> > MA's main cannon. The Apsaras fires one last time before going down.
> > This last blast melts the EZ8 (I've never seen a MS getting that
>
> Sweet! Two annoying characters gone!

You shouldn't have been so overjoyed, anime heroes don't die that
easily.

> > thrashed). Meanwhile, in the Feds base, Kojima stands alone, watching,
> > while we can hear Fed soldiers ordering an evacuation. That last blast
> > hits the base and vaporizes Kojima.
>
> Hey, that's not fair! Why didn't he just LEAVE with everyone else? Seems
> pretty pointless for him to die that way.

I think that's the "I sink with my ship" part. This might be explained
in that critical dialogue I missed.

> > the wreckage. Karen is reluctant but Eledore (who keeps hitting on her
> > BTW) grabs her arm and surrendering to her feelings, she runs with the
>
> Power of Luuuuv!
>
> > Miguel speaks (apparently writing to Bibi) an says he believes Shiro is
> > somehow alive. Then there are the last images of the ED: we see 2
>
> He's a Newtype! Augh!

Hehe, he's more likely a Bandai agent trying to get pre orders for last
report.

> > silhouettes: a female (Aina) is holding a guy who's actually missing his
> > left leg! (yeah, that's Shiro)
>
> Great... we're gonna have another spinoff-series/side-story. Blah. So
> he'll be the Federation Kelly Layzner.

That's the first thing I thought. I reckon they made this to give a
human and realistic aspect to that war.

Djallel