Re: [gundam] I have bad news about Bandai Japan

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:43:10 -0700 (MST)

> a serious profit, I say to hell with Pokemon and all the BB-senshi-SD
> stupidity! I think this 'pruning' will make a stronger 'model tree' for
> Oh I don't know about that, Remember how many of the MG have been considered
> disasters. The Zeta, the Gelgoog, etc. have all been bombs over there. And

  They haven't been bombs, but they haven't turned profits either.
Frankly, the Zeta, and GP-02A are _underpriced_ as far as I'm concerned,
look at the sheer SIZE of those kits!
  I'm surprised that Bandai didn't come up with the "MS Classics" line
earlier... after all, the MGs were always designed to be in the price
range of 'serious adult modellers' of which there are not nearly as many
as the kids who buy this stuff up by the tons! I think it's frankly easier
to sell 3-4 Y1000 1/144 kits than it is to sell one big MG kit.

> if the new Turn A MODELS (not show) bombs as much there as it seems to here
> on the list they might get rid of all Gundams. I'll bet this could spell
> disaster.

  I can't escape the feeling that Bandai set Turn-A to be the 'sacrificial
gundam', i.e., the Gundam that's SOOO bad and so nauseating that they can
kill off the line with a hearty "Good riddance".
  But on the other hand, Gundam is a cultural icon for Japan! It's the
equivalent of Star Trek in America, it's hard to imagine it just
dissappearing without a trace like that.
  And finally, Gundam IS a cash-cow waiting to be milked, even if some of
the MG kits lost money for Bandai, it just means that they'll start
producing "1/144 MGs" or something like that which is more affordable!
(About time). After all, Gundam takes up a HUGE amount of the mecha
modelling industry, and it's Bandai's own license... Bandai giving up
gundam kits would be like Paramount giving up all their Star-Trek
merchandise, it's foolish!

                                                                -Probe