Re: [gundam] I have bad news about Bandai Japan

Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:13:07 -0700

On 20 Apr 99, at 23:28, Prabal Nandy wrote:

> > I don't mean to say I think Bandai models are losing or earning money, I
> > don't know. If you have some numbers to back up your claim, I will be very
> > happy. But honest, in the long term, the writting is on the wall.
>
> Models have always been ALOT more popular in Japan than in the US,
> that's for sure. As for Bandai, I've repeatedly heard it said that "Gundam
> is their only consistant flagship product", i.e., that though Bandai goes

For Bandai's sake, I hope that's not the case, as model(inculde the
remote controled model) only contribute 5.9% of Bandai's revenue
in 1997.(The last year with data aviliable.)

> > BTW, I have a friend who's a toy wholesaler, and if he knows anything,
> > Pokemon and BB Senshi are selling like hot cakes. Of course that's not
> > the same as profitibilty, but it's a sign
>
> Problem for Bandai is that those are 'fad' products. Nobody's gonna
> remember Pokemon 10 years from now, but Gundam models will still be
> selling.

BB Senshi is not exactly an untested new product line. Pokemon
toys are from Tomy, the main reason that they are in position to
accquire Bandai.(Tomy's tie with Haspro, hance Japanese
distrubtion of Furby and Star War toys, is another) I made the
reference to Pokemon Gundam in reference to the possibile merger
between Bandai/Tomy. In no way was I suggestion that Bandai
holds the liscene to Pokemon toy.(Unless they really merge and use
Bandai's name for the combined company. But I don't think
Tomiyama family is that modest.)

Jim Huang