Re: [gundam] I have bad news about Bandai Japan

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:28:08 -0700 (MST)

> I don't mean to say I think Bandai models are losing or earning money, I
> don't know. If you have some numbers to back up your claim, I will be very
> happy. But honest, in the long term, the writting is on the wall.

  Models have always been ALOT more popular in Japan than in the US,
that's for sure. As for Bandai, I've repeatedly heard it said that "Gundam
is their only consistant flagship product", i.e., that though Bandai goes
through toy-fads just like any other company, Gundam has been the
longest-running consistant profit-earner of any of their gimmicks. Just
what I hear, go to the Bandai website and DL their stock performance info
or whatever for details I guess.

> BTW, I have a friend who's a toy wholesaler, and if he knows anything,
> Pokemon and BB Senshi are selling like hot cakes. Of course that's not
> the same as profitibilty, but it's a sign

  Problem for Bandai is that those are 'fad' products. Nobody's gonna
remember Pokemon 10 years from now, but Gundam models will still be
selling.

                                                                -Probe