Re: [gundam] Zaku Variants

Danny Kim (hsk73@earthlink.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:52:25 -0700

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:21:31 -0700 Mark Simmons <scorpio@best.com>
> writes:
> > Absolutely not. There's nothing intrinsically cool about the Zaku, or
> for
> >that matter about any of the classic Gundam mecha designs. Without
> >exception, they're gaudy, goofy, and crude-looking compared to the sleek
> >designs turned out by current faves like Hajime Katoki and Mamoru
> >Nagano.
>
> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:23:50 -0700 (MST) Prabal Nandy
> <nandy@U.Arizona.EDU> writes:
> > Great question! For me, the answer would have to be "No".
> > But the fact of the matter is, the first Gundam I ever saw was 0083
> and
> >the Zakus _do_ look VERY cool in that anime. Next, I saw 0080 where
> again,
> >the zakus kicked butt. I saw bits and pieces of CCA and naturally though
> >the Guerra Dogas were awesome as well. By the time I finally got to
> seeing
> >the original MSG movies, the Zaku design had grown on me to the point
>
> Thanks Guys. For the longest time I thought I was the only person who
> thought that
> the Zaku was an ugly design. My first Japanese models were the GP series
> from 0083,
> the S-Gundam from Sentinel Gundam, and the 1/100 Zeta Gundam, along with
> assorted
> Macross models. When I joined this list back in 1995, I remember reading
> all you
> talking about how the Zaku and Gelgoog were such cool designs. So I
> bought the
> Zaku-Fz, Gelgoog, and Dom from 0080. To say I was unimpressed would be an
>
> understatement. Sure, the Dom and Gelgoog were pretty cool, but the Zaku
> left me
> downright disappointed after hearing everyone talk about it so much. So I
> went out
> and bought Char's Zaku from MSG, and that disappointed me even more. In
> fact,
> that and the Multi-part Gundam from MSG (the one that forms a tank and an
> airplane)
> are the only Gundam series models to gain the distinction in my
> collection of being
> boxed up and hidden away.
> A that point, I almost gave up on getting the "badguy" suits. Then I
> found a Sazabi
> and the Jagd Dogas. Those models changed my opinion completely. While I
> still
> have not painted my Sazabi, the Jagds have gotten painted, and hold
> places of
> honor in my collection. So then the question came back up, other than the
> context
> the Zaku played in MSG, and the many variants of the Zaku (which don't
> count for
> the purpose of this question), what about the Zaku makes so many people
> think it
> [...]

Okay, I have MG Zaku II and RX-78 which I just finished infront of me.
Hmmm......( Studying what I like about Zak )
Well, if I have to describe them to someone in few words,
Zaku II = bad ass, RX-78 = wimpy
Zaku II = male, RX-78 = female
Zaku II = smooth, RX-78 = boxy ( Volvo? )
Zaku II = battle/war, RX-78 = community service
Well that's enough, it doesn't mean I don't like RX nor it means that I sieg
Zeon. I just think that Zaku looks stronger and meaner than skinny boxy
RX-78. It's equipped with better looking armor, even with spikes on it's
shoulder. Also we get all the cool variations. May be that's why I like Zap?
To me RX-78 is a boring design. What's so special about it? Let's just think
about some of the giant robots we had back in 70's. I can picture some of
them had similar design as Gundam. But, Zaku..... It's hard to come up with
something like it, may be Vottom?
Well, bottom line is, it was well designed. May be that's why it was in so
many episode without major make over like Gundam did and fitted well. Just
too bad it was on the bad side. And it will keep coming back as new Master
Grades as long as Bandai doesn't go bankrupt.

Danny