Re: [gundam] Zaku Variants

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:39:49 -0400

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:21:31 -0700 Mark Simmons <scorpio@best.com>
writes:
> Absolutely not. There's nothing intrinsically cool about the Zaku, or
for
>that matter about any of the classic Gundam mecha designs. Without
>exception, they're gaudy, goofy, and crude-looking compared to the sleek
>designs turned out by current faves like Hajime Katoki and Mamoru
>Nagano.

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:23:50 -0700 (MST) Prabal Nandy
<nandy@U.Arizona.EDU> writes:
> Great question! For me, the answer would have to be "No".
> But the fact of the matter is, the first Gundam I ever saw was 0083
and
>the Zakus _do_ look VERY cool in that anime. Next, I saw 0080 where
again,
>the zakus kicked butt. I saw bits and pieces of CCA and naturally though
>the Guerra Dogas were awesome as well. By the time I finally got to
seeing
>the original MSG movies, the Zaku design had grown on me to the point

Thanks Guys. For the longest time I thought I was the only person who
thought that
the Zaku was an ugly design. My first Japanese models were the GP series
from 0083,
the S-Gundam from Sentinel Gundam, and the 1/100 Zeta Gundam, along with
assorted
Macross models. When I joined this list back in 1995, I remember reading
all you
talking about how the Zaku and Gelgoog were such cool designs. So I
bought the
Zaku-Fz, Gelgoog, and Dom from 0080. To say I was unimpressed would be an

understatement. Sure, the Dom and Gelgoog were pretty cool, but the Zaku
left me
downright disappointed after hearing everyone talk about it so much. So I
went out
and bought Char's Zaku from MSG, and that disappointed me even more. In
fact,
that and the Multi-part Gundam from MSG (the one that forms a tank and an
airplane)
are the only Gundam series models to gain the distinction in my
collection of being
boxed up and hidden away.
A that point, I almost gave up on getting the "badguy" suits. Then I
found a Sazabi
and the Jagd Dogas. Those models changed my opinion completely. While I
still
have not painted my Sazabi, the Jagds have gotten painted, and hold
places of
honor in my collection. So then the question came back up, other than the