Re: [gundam] [OT] The Matrix & Dark City -spoiler-

Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:33:18 PDT

>Both films are excellent, but it's hard to compare apples and
oranges.
>The Matrix just happens to have a wider appeal and less "artsy".
>
>Eddie

Having just seen the Matrix, I really wanted to like it. The FLAT
dialogue and cliche soundtrack, coupled with annoyances in CG I
cannot stand now (Is it movie law for every CG creature, the Sentinel
in this case, to turn straight towards the camera and stick its
pinchers out at you to show you what a meanee it is? gag) kept me
from that.

*SPOILER WHINING...TURN BACK NOW!*

One thing I was unable to understand was the 1999 settings. Why have
everything shown from this period when the actual events are
happening a hundred years in the future? Why couldn't Keanu call up
that futuristic electro-rifle the had on the ship in the Matrix
fight scenes?? If they could bend or break the laws of reality in
fighting, why not grow claws, or armor or stuff?

Are hearty attempt at a quality story, and I did walk away seeing
the effort put into it. But fell a little short to me...

Mark Kai