Re: [gundam] Zaku Variants

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:38:36 -0700 (MST)

> SOB can only go so far. Mobile Suits are supposed to fight in conditions
> where line-of-sight is important, yet numerous MS have cockpits painted in
> drastic contrast to the rest of thier paint scheme, making them clear
> targets.

  Yes!
  But I think it makes a queer sort of sense. Let's take a look at the
GM-G and GM-GS from gundam 0080. The G-model is used for ground/colony
combat, and the cockpit is painted bright red... why? Well, a
beam-blast-reactor explosion in a colony would be DEVASTATING, and would
not only kill the pilot but kill his teammates as well! It's a far better
thing to paint the cockpit bright red and encourage the enemy to aim for
the cockpit hatch rather than the reactor (psychological thing here).
  Now let's look at the GM-GS. Bright color scheme but dark blue cockpit
hatch. But it fights in _space_, reactor explosions are not as big of a
deal as the spaces between MS are larger, and there's no colony wall to
hole or civilians to injure! Hence the more subdued cockpit.
  The original gundam had a blue cockpit, and the GM had a black cockpit
hatch, etc etc. It was only in later series that the red hatch became
rather common.
                                                                -Probe