[gundam] Turn A Gundam

Stuart Ng (silentaxis@geocities.com)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:20:33 -0700

Ok, to start off here...what I have to say about the more recent Gundam
sagas...is purely my opinion if you want to take it as that...but I
seriously do not like where they are taking the Gundam saga. It's becoming
too fancy and reaching out to branches where mystism and magic take a more
dominant role than actual military politics. I remember the days of
political unrest in 0083, and the bravery and honor in Char's
Counterattack. I own the OST for Char's and I have to say it's some of the
most inspiring music I've heard; and it matches Gundam in perfect harmony.
Series like G Gundam or Gundam Wing are a bit eccentric for my expectations
for Gundam...G Gundam was attempting to reach back to something like
Voltron or Dai Rangers type of story...which was a bit difficult to grasp.
I have no problem with more fantastic stories with mecha; like EVA.
However, when a creator designs a story a particular way with a particular
universe, it's designed with a set of rules or limits which pose and mold
the outcome and mood of the story; that's an important aspect of
design...otherwise everything designed in the world is simply ambigious
data with lots of changeable variables. Gundam was created a certain way,
and to change that formula that is Gundam simply means it's not Gundam.
Even if it means the "end" of Gundam; there's only so much you can take
from a universe...but then again I don't think the creators of the more
recent Gundam are taking full advantage of what Gundam has to offer.
Gundam I think has taken on a more marketing type of standpoint where money
and ratings take a dominant role to motivate the artists. I myself am an
artist; good or bad is up to you to
decide...www.densetsu.com/xproductions/index.html. But when people get
into corporate struggles of trying to survive in a field...I think the best
way to win or survive is by doing what one's heart tells them to when they
are creating something. I'm pretty sure that Tomino had a type of
frustration which forced him to with Turn A. I'm getting a vibe from
him...well I don't really know him...but seeing the recent series...tells
me that he's running out of ideas...It's what's happening with Nintendo. A
powerful respected, creative giant is taking the pink slip to death because
of competition which appeals more to the public. I kinda felt this from
Tomino when EVA was released; I think it was simutaneously with G
Gundam...and I remember a quote he had when EVA was nearing it's end; "I
will defeat EVA!" Something like that which was practically picking a
fight with Gainax or more specifically Anno Hideaki. I don't know about
all you other Gundam goers, but I'm still not satisfied with what they have
done with Gundam, and I'm pretty sure they can pull more juice from it.

Aside from the subject...but keeping on the concept of story writing and
creation, has anybody seen Matrix? I saw it and it's pure genius...I
haven't seen any movie that I can remember right now which equals to it's
technical, creative or unique blend of action, cyberpunk esthestics,
martial arts and gun fighting action; it even touts very deep story which
is consistent in the movie. I highly recommend this movie to anybody as
it's unrealness with blow you away...wondering what it's about??? No one
can be told what the Matrix is...you just have to see it for yourself... :)

Stuart