Re: [gundam] Rumor Central

BlazeEagle@aol.com
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:33:17 EDT

In a message dated 4/18/1999 4:42:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gundam@loop.com writes:

> Is Bandai doomed? Read on.

I hope not, but if they are, I hope a comonay gets the Gundam model and toy
license and does a lot better job then Bandai. I like Bandai just fine, of
course, but I think their crystal MG's was a waste of Bandai's time and money.

> According to a reliable source, mid to top management of Bandai's toy
> division were laid off en mass due to poor decision making, particularly
> the disastrous Pokeman-inspired Tamagochi, which bombed in last year's
> consumer market.

Tamagochi was just one of those passing fads anyway. I figured that would
happen eventually, anyway.

> Worst yet, the last family member remaining in the company was ousted from
> his position as company president, and replaced by a banker who sat on the
> company's board. For those unfamiliar with the Japanese business world, an
> outside banker's presence in a company's spells certain doom, as the banker
> will serve the interests of his bank even if it means company interests
will
> be compromised. This is Japan we are talking about, so none of the
> fiduciary duty corporation principles held sacred in the U.S. apply. The
> banker will basically suck the company's financial blood dry to feed his
> bank.
>
> Other signs of trouble:
>
> - Bandai recently suffered public humiliation when it lost one of its crown
> jewels - the Ultraman license - to a Hong Kong enterprise. A licensed
> Ultraman boxset (with the Ultramen at over 12 inches) has already been
> produced by the HK company.
>
> - More MG Zakus. My source claimed that there are about 6 or 7 more
> versions
> of MG Zakus planned for the second half of the year. Well, we already
> know there were at least three coming out - the two MS-05 Zakus and a
> Black Trinary MS-06R. Get this - one of the new MG Zaku will be the
> "classic" Zaku II bearing a closer resemblance to the Zaku that appeared
> in
> the original TV episodes (think Side 7 invasion) than the prettified
> version we have come to embrace and accept as THE Zaku look. We're
> talking
> about the flat-headed, LONG NOSED version here.
>
> - Another PG Zaku. Instead of differently colored armor parts as a PG
> Zaku Custom Set, Bandai will release an entire PG Zaku kit instead. This
> one will most likely be the MS-06S Char's Custom Zaku II.

How Zaku varitions can Bandai make? I like Zakus, but lord, We are drowning
in Zaku varitions.

> - Death of 1/100 HG kits. No 1/100 HG kits are planned for the Turn A
> series (this is in line with a lack of 1/100 scale kit announcement in
> Hobby Japan and other sources, but a positive feedback to the show could
> demand Bandai to start producing 1/100 scale HG kits for Turn A).
> Apparently Bandai will now trim its Gundam kits down to 3 basic series:
> PG (1/60), MG (1/100), and the cheapo 1/144 kits (although my source did
> not know about the 1/144 scale HGs, which hurts his credibility
somewhat...
> )

I link the 1/100 size alot. I hope its not true about the cheapo 1/144 kits.
I am all for 1/144 kits that are equal to or better then the 1/144 MS 08th
Team Gouf kit, though.

> Whew, that's a lot to take in at once. I think I'll stop for now... take
> all of the above with a grain of salt, but by Thanksgiving we should know
if
> any of the rumored releases will materialize. BTW, here is one piece of
> GOOD news... Bandai will be releasing the MG Zugock!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool!! The Zugock is an underwater MS, correct?

Aaron