Re: [gundam] Found a good close up picture of the Turn A kit

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:56:50 -0700 (MST)

> As shown in the May issue of Hobby Japan, the Turn A's chest is one big
> missile launcher. It opens both front and back to reveal six missiles
> arranged in a circle (not unlike the chambers of a revolver). The missiles
> run all the way through the chest, hence the hatches both fore and aft.

  That is really really goony! A big missile launcher? Or a Six-pack for
parties when you have Sumos and WaDom's over for pretzels and football?
That's sooo 1970s! What do you want to bet that after every
battle-of-the-week the Gundam rears back, strikes a pose, and slaughters
the damaged enemy mecha with "Bustaaaah MISSSILE RRAAAUNCH!"
  Yeah, and how are they gonna _replace_ fired missiles in primitive-tech
Earth?

> This also explains the relocated cockpit. There simply isn't room for one
> and, in any case, who'd want to sit there?

  Hey, it was good enough for Duo, and he was sitting with four massive
gatling cannons firing around his head! What is this Tomino Crotch-Cockpit
fetish all about? The BPs had them too!

> The model is actually quite nice looking, not surprising given the level of
> model builder for magazine spreads like this. The shield is reminiscent of

  Well, the modeller made it look as good as it could _possibly_ look...
and that's just sad.

> the old Gelgoog "Zulu" model, white rimmed with red, with a blue oval
> section on the upper fore edge that may be more than just a spot of color.

  Hmm... I hadn't noticed that, what's your take on it? Spirit-orb or
sensor? I think the shield looks more like something I went sledding on as
a kid than a serious defensive impliment! Then again, maybe that explains
the Orb... the Gen-X Gundam, with its high-top feet, flasher chest and
tragically hip moustache rides its "Boogy Board with Anti-Grav Sphere!"
into battle!

> The gun this thing totes puts me in mind of the Wing's buster rifle, but
> then BFG have been the order of the day for some time now.

  It looks kinda like a _spacecraft_ from New Yamato or something like
that, definately not a typical Gundam rifle, and also kinda flashy/goony
looking.

> Do any of these critters have model numbers, or did those go out of style
> with the Apsaras?

  That's my bet!
                                                        -Probe