RE: LD vs. DVD vs. VCR (Was-Re:[gundam] MG Gundams are coming toAmerica, Read on!!)

cliff boese (burned_earth@hotmail.com)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:22:46 PDT

Ok, anyhow, I ment about a year or two for the items to become more
afordable, Pardon the spelling, and as far as this goes, I think
companys should offer a program to trade in your vids for dvd copies,
with a SMALL FEE. also I know this is a gundum e-mail thingy, so
sorry.

>From: "Hard_Case" <wing0@earthlink.net>
>To: <gundam@aeug.org>
>Subject: RE: LD vs. DVD vs. VCR (Was-Re:[gundam] MG Gundams are
coming toAmerica, Read on!!)
>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:32:36 -0400

Behalf Of
> [...]
>
>That depends. I recently moved...luggung 200+ VHS tapes in a LARGE
>canvas bag on your back really makes you beg for a smaller medium.
>Generally I don't like VCD, mostly because I think the quality isn't
>there. Maybe I'm wierd, or maybe I'm a sick purist...who knows...
>
>> vcr at the time, if you remember, beta came out after vhs, was
sopose
>> to be better, bombed out, never herd from it again, but anyhow, if
>> dvd gets older, you will find recorders with in two years, people
>
>Well....from what I recall they still in the 1500 range, for the dvd
>recorders...
>
>> have only scratched the surface of what a dvd can do. If you think
>> about it, you could compress music on it, and with a decoder,
>
>Um......you haven't heard of the DVD Audio format, have you? (I mean
>this in the inquisitive form, not the sarcastic...most people brought
>this up to have looked at me like I'm making it up...)
>To give you an idea, a standard CD is in 44Khz, has 2 channels
>at 16bits, and runs for 74 minutes.
>The DVD-96 Audio format runs at 96Khz, with 8 channels, 16-bit
>precision, with a 384 kbit/s for an AC-3 channel, 176 kbit/s for a
>Subcode, and 6700 kbit/s for the Linear PCM channels, at a total of
>86 minutes.
>
>Everything I've read about DVD Audio makes it sound perfect, except
>that 1 - it probably would have been here over a year ago or more but
>for argument over format specifications. Then there's the problem of
>do you got for cross compatibility with CD players (it is possible
>to put the music in readable CD format on one layer, with the DVD
>audio information on another layer readable only by DVD Audio
players),
>and take the loss of space on the disc for the DVD Audio portion, or
>do you try to market this as the successor to DVD?
>

>> over 3 cd's worth or more in songs on it (kind of like
>> a super mini disk) and with multi angles, dvd rom, interaction, and
>> probabaly a form of dvd-r or dvd recorder for computer, the
>> posibilitys are endless, also if you want to find a ld or dvd
player,

>Now that is one thing I think needs to be worked on...DVD ROM
programs
>for the computer. If companies start putting out quality titles that
really
>use the format, that would definitely be a good thing.
>

>> look at www.ebay.com
>>
>> they have old and new ones from 20.00 and up (working)
>
>I know someone mentioned the lament of needing to MOD PSX's and DVD
>systems.....I was surprised to find Pioneer makes an out of the box
>region free DVD Player, the DV-414...and it's under 500....not bad...
>
>>Alfred Urrutia [Alfred.Urrutia@disney.com] writes:
>>I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that DVD is trying to
become the
>>standard and it sucks. It's got more lines of resolution
horizontally,