Re: [gundam] More Turn-A Info in May Newtype

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:05:59 -0700 (MST)

> rejected based on how it benefits the few (the capitalists and the army
> generals) but on how it benefits the many. I am not articulating this

  In the modern world this doesn't happen simply because the capitalists
_own_ the means of production... but who knows, by the Turn-A era it's
possible that the world is automated enough that this might be possible.
  But if that's true, we'd expect to see people living at a fairly
high-technology level of development, with fancy TVs, butt-massaging
Lazyboy chairs, heated toilet seats and potato-chip IVs.

> make the paradise. You get the feeling that Tomino really like technology
> (why else would he do a techy giant robo instead of a mythic giant robo?),

  Yepper!

> perhaps he has some neo-humanist philosophy up his sleeves that he will
> pull out at the end of Turn-A. Technology then is just the wasabi to the
> TunA. (sorry)

  I think Tomino did _not_ have this philosophy during MSG, but he has
gradually come to terms with it as time has gone on. Hence Turn-A.

> > By the same token, how sustainable is a pastoral utopia if it can get
> > trampled by the first band of techno-thugs who happen along? And if you
> Hehe, it's almost the same question we ask a few months ago, eh? I guess

  Yep! I guess "Preventer" didn't last very long.

> we won't find out until the end. But, if Tomino focus on the
> human-centred vs. power-centred question instead of tech vs. no tech, he
> can easily justify a pastoral utopia keeping an army of fighting monks,

  I think it's a neat idea, but I don't think it's what's actually
happening with Turn-A simply because there doesn't seem to be ANY
offensive tech on Earth anymore. They're back to Biplanes, cannons, and
cars! In a way this makes sense. They've simply
ignored/forgotten/suppressed all the military-arts and technologies and
are gradually re-learning them. Personally I don't see how a culture that
can hardly build a flyable aircraft can support and maintain a Mobile Suit
but well....

> Back to Mark's earlier point: Probe, Z, I and a few others are making our
> living out of technology, so questions like "net positive or negative?" is

  Hey, I believe that technology will in a few more decades, solve every
problem that has ever plagued mankind and create a future world of
ildyllic peace and prosperity... the Golden Age of Robotics!
                                                                -Probe