Re: [gundam]How would you redo Gundam if you could? WAS: The Gundam

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:19:25 -0700

At 06:49 4/13/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>-Z- wrote:
>>
>> Since the death of Four is one of the most pivotal scenes in the
>> entire Gundam saga, you're better off setting your story circa UC 0085
>> and focusing on her recruitment and training.
>
> Which is one of the questions that I have surrounding a
>character like Four. Was she a volunteer who later had regrets
>about what she was doing, ala Emma Sheen, after realizing that
>she was losing (lots of) something in return for her services to
>the Titans? Or was she like Sarah Zabiarov, being pulled in out
>of a sense of wanting to belong somewhere after losing her family
>to the One Year War? For all we know, Four could've been plucked
>off of a dirty street in Australia in the wake of that colony
>drop and dumped into an orphanage, where she remained until the
>Titans "recruited" her. Tomino never really gave us the "origin"
>story outside of her being a guinea pig for the Murasame group...

All that we really know about Four Murasame is that she's the same age as
Fa Yuri (and thus born circa UC 0070, as were Kayra Su and Lezun Snyder of
CCA) and that, as part of the Biosoldoer "conditioning" process, she has
had her memory blocked. "Give me back my memories!" she cries, implying
that the block can be removed, although, on the other hand, it could be on
par with the "Give me back my father!" demands by orphans.

Murasame Psychic Institute was founded circa April 0084, according to one
of my notes, which can't be verified. (Augusta Newtype Labs was founded at
the same time, it says here) If true, Four was already about 13 or 14 --
about the same age as Usso and Shakti in V Gundam or Katsu and Quess in CCA
-- when Murasame was looking for experimental material. She was most
likely a war orphan or someone else who wouldn't be missed....

> So, yes, I could try to fit it into the established UC story
>without really changing anything, but it seems too easy to do the
>other thing...

"We choose to go to the Moon, and do the other things, not because they are
easy but because they are hard...." --John F. Kennedy, 1963.

-Z-