Re: [gundam]How would you redo Gundam if you could? WAS: The Gundam

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:15:31 -0700

At 00:21 4/12/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>May I cut in?
>
> This very thought crossed my mind as I began working on a
>fan-fiction story based on Z-Gundam just a few days ago. My
>obvious answer to the question is, of course, to write a
>fan-fiction story.
>
> In my story, Four Murasame is aided by a "mysterious"
>benefactor who somehow gains knowledge of her plight and decides
>to recruit her into a more beneficial cause (in this case, a
>special vigilante squad dedicated to intervening in the
>escalating conflicts between the Earth Federation and the
>colonies, sort of like the BGC Knight Sabres, except that they
>use custom-made MS). Of course this would require tearing up a
>whole lot of what Yoshiyuki Tomino had set down at the time
>concerning the other established characters that I would be using
>in this story, such as Sayla Mass (Artesia Daikun), Christine
>McKenzie, and Roux Rouka. (The inspiration from said teamup of
>characters comes from a series of CD jackets illustrated by Yuzo
>Takada.)

While it's certainly fun to play "what if" with the characters and
storyline -- and Lord knows there's enough of a tradition of it in fan
fiction -- a more interesting and admirable course is to write "missing
adventures" that fit into the continuity. "Side stories" can springboard
from an anecdote in one of the main storylines: Emma Sheen's experiences in
the war, culminating in her meeting with Amuro, comes to mind, as does the
"Alaska Incident" that resulted in the formation of the Kalaba.

I'd say steer clear of the continuity and find a time and a place where you
can bring Sayla, Chris and Roux together outside of the known story.
Better, drop Sayla and Roux as well as Four and do something with the
Gundam 0080 and 0083 survivors: Chris meets Kou, Nina, Chuck and Mora and
together they all....

Myself, I've got Chris teaming up with a character of my own invention,
Karma Aikiko (formerly Anaheim, until I decided that having her be an
heiress to a fortune would spoil things both historically and dramatically)
Tomino D'Agnesi, who's based on the real-life unsung heroine of WW2, Iva
Ikuko Toguri D'Aquino, combined with the anime persona of Patlabor's Kanuka
Clancy.

> That being said, I'd have to say that I would probably change
>very little in the setting and chronology of the conflicts as
>established in the UC story (it's that good, at least as of the
>WAR IN THE POCKET and STARDUST MEMORY OAVs). OTOH, there are
>some character bits that I would change. Such as the death of
>Four...

Since the death of Four is one of the most pivotal scenes in the entire
Gundam saga, you're better off setting your story circa UC 0085 and
focusing on her recruitment and training.

> However, those are subject to inidivual opinion and works of
>fan-fiction. I can't really do anything about the original work
>of Tomino-san and company except appreciate it, and join in the
>discussion of said features.

Dare to be different, but leave the continuity alone. Find a way to make
it fit and justify it. Give your audience something that could've happened
within the framework of what they already know. Add to the legend, rather
than chipping away at it.

-Z-