Re: [gundam] My thoughts on Turn A Gundam

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 23:32:26 -0700 (MST)

> Actually, it does not mark a radical change for Gundam, besides the
> misplaced antennae. The supporting Mecha, such as the "Flat", look
> like more radical departures from Gundam-esque Mecha, even though
> they are somewhat bland still. Gotta wait till the animation for full
> judgemant.

  And I think that pretty much _is_ the problem. Not only are the designs
so atypical, but they are also really plain, or just detailed wierdly. The
Flat, in particular, looks like it marched out of the pages of
"Battletech" or "Marvel Comics", it has a really odd, straight-edged
cartoony look that's really hard to take seriously. Compared to that, the
Turn-A is a masterpiece.

  Now, I've seen some strange 'sketch art' of the Turn-A that looks
hyperdetailed, with all sorts of little ridges and fins and things
sticking out of the mecha which actually make it look kind of cool in a
wierd way... no idea if this is what it's supposed to look like or if it's
some cleaned up artist's rendition or not. Of course, its legs and
'clodhoppers' just can't be improved much as they are.

                                                                -Probe