Re: [gundam] More Turn-A Info in May Newtype

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:26:29 -0700

Dafydd writes,

>Well, as you say, New England, with the county seat in Boston MA.
>
>Knox, if a county, could be in IL, IN, KY, ME, MO, NE, OH, TN or TX.
>
>If a city, it could be IN, MO, NE, NY, ND, OH, PA or SC. If I were a
>betting man, I'd say it had to be Knox NY.

  Don't sweat too hard - these are mostly _really_ obvious...

>>Carubania
>
>Caribbean

  Actually, it's California.

>Sounds like Earth went the way of the Amish, Quakers and Pennsylvania
>Dutch: set a technology limit that only allows muscle power (human or
>animal) with lever amplification, maybe water or wind power through the
>same leverage, but no steam power except for emergencies (hence the
>military use of steam engines) and no electrical power whatsoever.

  As noted earlier, they do have electricity by way of solar batteries
(looks like a lot of the houses have solar panel roofs for this purpose).
On closer examination, the cars aren't actually solar powered - they run
on phlogiston, hah hah! That Tomino cracks me up. :-)

>I don't think that's where they got it, though. It's called a "hakkenin"
>in Finnish and graces the back of their markka. This symbol, which has
>much the same meaning as the yin-yang, also appears throughout Nordic and
>Celtic lore. When the pagans were Christianized, it was used to represent
>the Holy Cross.

  Actually, all the Moonrace officers have various symmetrical patterns
on their chests, which presumably correspond to rank. It seems like just
a coincidence that this fellow's insignia looks like a hakkenin/command
key symbol...

-- Mark