Re: [gundam] More Turn-A Info in May Newtype

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:38:25 -0700

Jim Huang writes,

>Seems to be the case. But the implication that Turn-A is powerful
>enough(Ok, so it's main weapon, the Beam Rifle, malfunctioned due
>to the long storage(Happy? Probe?) overheated after two shot. So it
>had to use optional weapons since eps. 2)

  And, for that matter, it's going to take a couple more episodes before
Loran can even figure out how to pilot it... :-)

>and the similiarity
>between Sumo and Turn-A, the Moon Race may not advanced much
>in 2,000 years. That's something I didn't considered before.

  The Turn A-Sumo similarity is curious indeed. It's also mentioned that
the Turn A, like the WaDom (but not the Sumo), has some nanoskin covering.
On the other hand, the Turn A's cockpit system is very different, with its
weird hand controls and VR helmet. If anything, it looks like the
Moonrace's technology has declined somewhat since the era when the Turn A
was made...

  Speaking of which, it's noted that nobody involved knows that the Turn A
actually _is_ a Gundam (hence the cutesy nicknames used by both sides). I
guess at some point, someone will have to identify it as such...

Mark Nguyen writes,

>Anyway, I've got the feeling that since teh abandonment
>of technology, our Earthnoids have re-discovered the "good"
>technologies... Ones that aren't too ambitious or polluting, and
>which fit in with the "anti-horrors-of-war" sentiment we seem to be
>observing in them.

  But if they deliberately abandoned this technology, rather than losing it
through a catastrophic disaster, then might they not have singled out a
handful of technologies as worthy of preservation and compatible with a
peaceful, rural existence? Kind of like the Amish, in fact - a people who
aren't so much anti-technology, as just very picky about which of its
products they choose to accept.

  If so, it seems that communications technology didn't make the cut.
NewType's insert book notes that Guen Third Rheinford has a huge, crude
wireless setup in his family's castle, which is how the feudal lords
managed to make contact with the Moonrace and begin negotiations before
they arrived. I'm not sure if Guen's radio is unique, or just very rare,
but it seems interesting that Tomino's agrarian utopia is largely bereft of
instant communications. Unlike the Amish, who, I recall reading, have
recently decided that the Internet qualifies as Good Technology...

-- Mark