Re: [gundam] Gundam Convention

Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:33:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:

> > Seriously guys, this has gone far enough. I'm not sure if you guys
> > realize this, but you are the exact audience Tomino is trying to stay away
> > from. He's trying to stay away from the traditional Gundam mold.
> >
> > And you guys also bitch about Turn-A Gundam not looking like a Gundam, but
> > we can say the same thing about family of Zeta Gundams, like Zeta, Re-GZ,
> > and Zeta Plus. Even Turn-A has a red chin, but they don't.
>
> But they at least look like Gundams. I don't want to stay in the "Gundam
> Mold", but I DO want a robot with the Gundam name to look like a Gundam. You

I still don't see your point. Using your argument, Zeta Gundam was as
much of change as Turn-A Gundam was. They both have similar color scheme
as traditional Gundam, and both lack a siginificant Gundam trait (Turn-A
the yellow V-fin, Zeta the red chin)

> just don't make a well known anime icon, then then totally chage the way it
> looks just to break a so called "mold". Some people have said Tomino did this
> to tick off the hard-core Gundam fan, thats not right just to make an werid
> non Gundam Gundam, to tick off fans if thats true.

Why not? If he's forced to make titles which he felt was pure pain, I
don't see why he should force his ideas to the fans. It is just a rumor,
but working on some of the later UC shows he's done made him think of
commiting suicide.

> When something gets a fan
> base, you shouldn't tick off the fans, unless the fans want the creator to
> totally change his creation to be the way the fans want it. If I created
> something and it had a fan base, I would try to please my fans,

That's probably true when it's semi-popular, but once you get extremely
popular like Gundam, you really don't need to worry about that
anymore... (unless you are the sponser, of course).

> but I
> wouldn't chage my creation if fans want me to ruin the essence of my
> creation.

But that's what he felt about previous Gundam series he's done though.

> Turn A the anime sounds cool, but the Gundam should at least
> resemble the other Gundams a tiny little bit. I thought that Gundam was
> Gundam, because if the look of the Gundam, not just the story. Gundam
> wouldn't be Gundam, without the way Gundams look, it would just be another
> sci-fi anime program.

I guess our disagreement is coming from what you are describing "Gundam
look". Care to elaborate?

Kota