Re: [gundam][OT] The Matrix the deep philosophical debate!

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:57:22 -0700 (MST)

> It should be just old fashion sea-sickness. Or reverse sea-sickness (the
> eyes are seeing motions, but the balance sensors in the ears don't feel

  That is partially it, but the fact of the matter is that we didn't
evolve from birds, but from ground walking apes. We're simply not _wired_
for flying through the virtual-air with the slightest of ease... it will
take alot of training to get profficient with this sort of immersion
technology and even so, there may come a limit (for example,
Telepresence-wired 'manned' cruise missiles).

> It's not that the brains got overloaded with information, it's that the VR
> helmuts are giving incomplete and inconsistent information that confuse

  Definately true, and the flicker doesn't help either.

> Or it could be something more technical, like if they didn't do the optics
> right, like bad eyeglasses give people headaches. But even if you do

  This is true, but that's why military VR systems allow you to tune each
eye's 'monitor' separately.

> everything right, VR helmut will still get some people reverse sea-sick.

  Hence the data-overload that I was talking about Earlier... or rather,
data-incompatibility with the human brain's instinctive ways of dealing
with massive amounts of visual data, etc.

                                                                -Probe