Re: [gundam][OT] The Matrix the deep philosophical debate!

Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:17:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:
> > You know, like nausea, dizziness, and - my favorite - LSD-like
> > flashbacks. At this point, it seems they're still trying to figure out
> > whether these effects are technical glitches or inherent problems with
> > immersive virtual reality displays. List techies, any insights?
>
> It's the defects in the human flesh causing the problem. Our brains are
> easily overloaded

It should be just old fashion sea-sickness. Or reverse sea-sickness (the
eyes are seeing motions, but the balance sensors in the ears don't feel
it).

It's not that the brains got overloaded with information, it's that the VR
helmuts are giving incomplete and inconsistent information that confuse
the brain. The solution is simple, people can be trained to get used to
it (sailors don't get sea-sick right?), or the VR system could be modified
to provide the motion information too. And viola, you get the flight sims
that Boeing etc used to train pilots.

Or it could be something more technical, like if they didn't do the optics
right, like bad eyeglasses give people headaches. But even if you do
everything right, VR helmut will still get some people reverse sea-sick.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble