Re: [gundam] UC motivations...

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:05:34 -0700 (MST)

> Titans/Neo-Zion/Cosmo Babylonia peoples include such anti-big war
> sentiment that they could operate without having to worry about a
> full-scale war? That they'd feel confident in ultimately overthrowing
> the Government of the day because war is so unpopular?

  Well, I think this is really alot of the reason behind the perceived
'impotence' of the Fed military. They're not _weak_ per se, but the Fed
government has a long memory and does not want to repeat the horrors of
the 1YW. Unfortuantely this means that they are more reactive than
proactive, more likely to try diplomacy than massive-retaliation. Gundam's
morals politically are kinda suspect here, coming from the US's point of
view. But from the Japanese point of view, I believe the Fed government is
written as a scathing commentary on the traditionally appeasionistic
and ineffective Japanese government.

> that's what the Zanscare people were thinking, at least in part.
> After all, they had a Queen to figurehead for them, and idealisms to
> rid the Earth of its Human pestilence. Thoughts on this?

  I'm not sure I understand your theory on the Zanscar?
                                                                -Probe