Re: [gundam] The Gundam

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:14:57 -0700 (MST)

> You know, I sometimes wonder whether Japanese fans really worry about it
> as much as Americans. Every great anime franchise - Yamato, Gundam, Macross

  Oh, I'm sure they do _waaaay_ more than the typical American anime fan.
After all, we've got companies like Gainax based on people like that!

> the second Yamato TV series is an alternate version of the second movie,
> the Gundam movies conflict dramatically with the TV series they're based

  I think the Japanese are simply more _used_ to things like that... and
frankly, so are we. Remember the "Buck Rogers in the 24th century",
"Knight Rider 2000" and other spinoff/knockoff/updated stories? "Lois and
Clark" might be another good example.

> Americans, on the other hand, are real bores when it comes to continuity.
> Every piddling little detail has to be attended to, and fans blow a gasket
> when the creators mess up some piece of twenty-year-old trivia in Spiderman

  Problem is, what you're being exposed to are _US_ anime fans. To even
_get_ anime in the US and view enough of it to establish continuity, you
just about HAVE to be a fanatic! And if you're a fanatic, little glitches
in continuity will bug the hell out of you!

                                                                -Probe