Re: [gundam][OT] The Matrix the deep philosophical debate!

mistercb@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:22:30 -0500 (CDT)

On 04/07/99 22:43:11 you wrote:

>> I haven't heard that, about the influence. Did "Mage: The Ascension"
take
>> place in cyberspace? I read sci-fi novels with closer ties to "The
Matrix"
>> than the videogame you describe.

For the record, Mage is a pencil-and-paper traditional RPG; Only White
Wolf's Vampire: The Masqarade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse are being made
into PC games, but the rumors are going around that they are looking for a
company to do Mage.

>I'm familiar with Mage and other White-Wolf Games (white wolf is the games
>company that releases them / creates them) and, while I haven't seen "the
>matrix" yet, I'd like to say yes, there is a group of mages called the
"virtual
>Adepts" or something along those lines who believe cyberspace is the next
>reality, so to speak.

Roughly, that's true. Don't also forget that in Mage there are a group of
mages called the Technocracy that effectively control reality on Earth; they
belive that reality should be reduced to the lowest common understandable
denominator so the sleepers (read: everyone else) would be safe.
Unfortunately, they have become so engrossed in the means to accomplish this
that they have almost forgotten what the ends were.

Makes me wonder if a Son of Ether designed all those Zion ships, because
damn, are they inefficent looking!

Chris "I have returned" Brown

KRYTEN: What about the Space Corps Directive which states, "It is our
  primary overriding duty to contact other life forms, exchange
  information, and, wherever possible, bring them home?"
RIMMER: What about the Rimmer Directive which states, "Never tangle with
  anything that's got more teeth than the entire Osmond family?"

-Red Dwarf, "Polymorph"