[gundam] yipes, here's some philosophical babble for ya! (was: turn-A and UC)

Der UberHanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:58:08 -0400

> It's a nice thought, certainly. But take a look at this list. Who is going
> out and forging an Earth-benefitting path to enlightened living? No one here
> that I can see. I don't mean it as a bad thing, just that everyone is waiting
> for someone else to take the first step and so nothing is getting done. It
> then degenerates into living our daily lives and trying to make enough money
> to live well. Most rich, power-hungry types are not in the habit of giving
> away their money. And money ain't the only barrier. Laws prevent many great
> things from happening and allows for stupid shit to continue.

I know this is really deviating, but I keep a journal (hey, shut up! I know you
do too, so be quiet! no snickering! You there, in the back! quiet!) and I've
discussed this particular topic - well, the money and laws part at least - quite
a bit. I think the basic conclusion I reached is that it is our own fault that
things are so complicated - money exists because somebody a couple o thousand
years ago thought it'd be a good idea, and it stuck... laws for some odd reason
are so confusing its ridiculous. I hate it when people complain that things are
"too complicated" - the only reason they're complicated is because someone made
it that way, and people gotta realize that if there's gonna be any kind of
bettering of the human race, we gotta stop bullshitting our way through life and
focus on the important crap.

How? Well, I personally think we should erase all forms of economy, first of
all. The problem is, no one wants to do that. I also think that laws SUCK, (this
coming from a guy whose never even gotten a speeding ticket), and that people
should bypass them to do what is "right." I think I favor a human race where
Anarchy rules, but its based on generosity, knowledge, wisdom, and good
old-fashioned common sense, not money or power. Call me an idealist.

And for the record, I'm 18 - I'd gladly be doing something about it (forgin the
path to enlightened living, that is) but uh, it's kinda hard when people give
you NO credibility to start with. Still, I've found a couple of people who share
my ideals... maybe in another thousand years or so someone might stumble upon my
preserved journals and humanity will reach a new high point in life.

Whoah, I babbled big-time there!

> understand with the work of superior beings, etc. A simple Earth-cracking
> mpact won't change that. Not for more than a year or two.

unfortunately, on a broader scale, the book and I have reached the conclusion
that for humanity to reach such a point, we need a bit more than an
earth-cracking (or earth-shattering!) impact. We need something along the lines
of starting from scratch, and I mean finding the people of noble ideals
(although I woudn't exactly define my thoughts as "noble" its the closest word I
can come up with) and killing everyone else. Yeah yeah its a disturbing thought
but I think it holds true for a lot of things - Intel's gotta give up on the x86
architecture sometime, ya know. We can only refine something for so long before
we have to start fresh, but with all the knowledge we've previously gathered.

Sorta like, hey, if I could go back to high school with all the knowledge I have
now, I could make different decisions... you know, instead of building over an
ancient city you move to a new location and start from scratch - its much more
solid in that aspect.

Hope that didn't confuse too many people. Welcome to my thought process. :-)

oy...

Matt "the voice of flawed logic" Hanyok
mhanyo1@umbc.edu
"The more you know, the less you understand." - Tao te Ching