[gundam] Re: The Gundam

Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Simmons wrote:
> the Gundam movies conflict dramatically with the TV series they're based
> on...

whao! where? How?

> You know, I sometimes wonder whether Japanese fans really worry about
> it as much as Americans. Every great anime franchise has multiple,
> incompatible, conflicting continuities.

That's fer sure, mate! As a oriental agnostic scientist who has
buddhist/Confucius parents and went through Catholic elementary school and
Protestant high school (Jesus am I really that simple?), I guess I can
make an observation.

Western culture (Christians, Jews, Muslims) prefer the comfort and
simplicity of a single God, a single Truth. Something is either a rose or
not a rose, a cat is either dead or alive, there's no half truth. But
Orientals (Hindus, Buddhists, Confucius, but I can't speak for Shinto)
accept and almost embrace ambiguity, paradox, and multipule truths. Can
this explain the difference between continuity difference between anime
and American comics/scifi? I leave it to you to decide.

> Americans, on the other hand, are real bores when it comes to
> continuity...
> at this point they've made such a mess of things that every couple of
> years they have to blow up the universe and start over again. Give me
> happy little continuity screw-ups any day...

I completely agree!

errr... almost completely. I think continuity breaks should be
considered heavy-handed devices, like a colony-drop! If you use it too
freely, it's gonna pollute everything. And personally, I think anime in
general (not necessarily Gundam) use it rather too nonchalantly.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble