Re: [gundam] Turn-A & UC

Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:37:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 8, 12:57pm, Michael Ip wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] Turn-A & UC
>

> BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:
>

> > I know what you mean. Humans should use their technology to explore space,
> > underwater, devote more attention to cures for diseases, I could go on and
> > on :)
>
> Thanks to some of the replies, and as Chaos says, it needed some deciphering,
> so I was in a bad mood ^^; It was more well received than I thought.

It's a nice thought, certainly. But take a look at this list. Who is going
out and forging an Earth-benefitting path to enlightened living? No one here
that I can see. I don't mean it as a bad thing, just that everyone is waiting
for someone else to take the first step and so nothing is getting done. It
then degenerates into living our daily lives and trying to make enough money
to live well. Most rich, power-hungry types are not in the habit of giving
away their money. And money ain't the only barrier. Laws prevent many great
things from happening and allows for stupid shit to continue.

> > I know war is unavoidable sometimes. I am not anti-violence, but wars and
> > killing gets old. I like action in Video Games, Gundam, movies, etc., but I
> > wouldn't want to be in a war.
>
> Ya know, when I first watched CCA, (I haven't told anyone this yet, but I
will
> now) I'm kind of wished (and I still feel the same way) Char did succeed in
> dropping Axcis. Hopefully it would take something catastrophic like to make
> us humans to realise how 'silly' (flame me!) we can be.

Well, read what you just wrote there. You seem to be equating the bullshit
future of an old anime series to actual humans. I mean, Axis could have
been dropped and the plot could have said that all humans on Earth immediately
turned into catfish. No doubt we're silly. We think a shiny yellow metal has
more value than other metals, we wish things were different but fear change,
we hate people for worthless arbitrary reasons, we equate what we don't
understand with the work of superior beings, etc. A simple Earth-cracking
mpact won't change that. Not for more than a year or two.

Alfred.

--
"you can't imagine how empowering and uplifting a series of repeated
 exclamation points can be.  really.  i have officially redoubled my