Re: [gundam] Turn-A & UC

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:21:35 -0400

>oh god, don't get me started on this...I can not BELIEVE the ancients of
the past
>were able to create Pyramids and other wonders. Well I do believe that,
what I
>do not believe is, and this appears to be a global thing, from the
middle
>ages/feudal age (forgive me I am not well versed in history or correct
>terminology of respective eras), technological advancement like *almost*
stops
>for 1000 years. Why has this happened? I believe it to be the powers
that be
>(religious leaders, emperors/kings) discouraged advancement in
academics, and

Actually, the era, known as the Dark Ages for this reason, is full of
contradictions.
At one end of the spectrum, you have the technological backslide caused
by
the destruction of Rome and the burning of the Library in Alexandria,
then on
the other end of the extreme, you have the preservation of "Approved"
knowledge
by the Roman Catholic Church. While many historians credit the Church
with
the preservation of a lot of information and knowledge, there is also the
very real
fact that any discoveries that the Church didn't approve of were
discouraged or
actively seeked out and destroyed.
So what you end up with is the philosophies of Aristotle and Principles
of
Geometry and Trigonometry being taught, while astronomy, cleanliness, and

proper medical procedures are suppressed.

--
Linwood Foster,   The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] - Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/