Re: [gundam] The Gundam "Legend"

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:44:24 -0700 (MST)

> >Well, if Turn-A is indeed some two to three hundred years after Victory
> Try two _thousand_ years. The calendar year 2345 is supposed numbered
> from the dawn of the space age, and should thus roughly correspond to the
> AC or UC calendars. If Turn A really is built on the ruins of every

  Yikes! That's a LONG LONG time! Still, the fact that they know _when_
the space age began implies that they must have _some_ historical records
of that time.... after all, what would they be measuring time _from_?

> previous Gundam show, then I guess Tomino figured that twnty centuries was
> enough time for humanity to go through a few cycles of reaching space,
> developing mobile suits, and then knocking itself back to the
> pre-industrial age in huge wars of some kind. ;-)

  Depressing! So much for the Gundam Wing "All MS were abandoned and
Humanity never had wars again" ending!

> Hm... so maybe the "Seventh Space War" of Gundam X really _is_ the
> seventh space war? If so, were G Gundam's "Chaos Wars" and Gundam W's "Eve
> Wars" the fifth and sixth? Ow, my head hurts.

  Then what are wars two through four? ZG, ZZG, VG?

> Ah, but where did the colonies go? Did they finally say "to hell with
> it," strap on big old rocket engines, and leave the Earthdwellers behind to
> sort out their own problems? :-)

  Maybe the lack of colonies is 'related' to the fact that the entire
world seems to have gone through a couple armageddons? (Wink).

> The notion that Turn A takes place after _all_ previous Gundam series is
> still a tough one to swallow. I think I'll hold off trying to make sense of
> it until the story gets to that point...

  Yeah, it sounds to be more of a philosophical 'afterward' then a literal
one. I.e., "This show isn't about all those Gundam stories, this is
supposed to be about what happens _after_ all those gundam stories"

                                                                -Probe