Re: [gundam] The Gundam "Legend"

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:56:32 -0700

SJ writes,

>Well, if Turn-A is indeed some two to three hundred years after Victory

  Try two _thousand_ years. The calendar year 2345 is supposed numbered
from the dawn of the space age, and should thus roughly correspond to the
AC or UC calendars. If Turn A really is built on the ruins of every
previous Gundam show, then I guess Tomino figured that twnty centuries was
enough time for humanity to go through a few cycles of reaching space,
developing mobile suits, and then knocking itself back to the
pre-industrial age in huge wars of some kind. ;-)

  Hm... so maybe the "Seventh Space War" of Gundam X really _is_ the
seventh space war? If so, were G Gundam's "Chaos Wars" and Gundam W's "Eve
Wars" the fifth and sixth? Ow, my head hurts.

>I can see the Spacenoids breaking off all contact with Earth over some
>internal
>problem like all the colonies finally seceding from the Earth Federation and
>simply boycotting Earth all together.

  Ah, but where did the colonies go? Did they finally say "to hell with
it," strap on big old rocket engines, and leave the Earthdwellers behind to
sort out their own problems? :-)

  The notion that Turn A takes place after _all_ previous Gundam series is
still a tough one to swallow. I think I'll hold off trying to make sense of
it until the story gets to that point...

-- Mark