Re: [gundam] Best battleship at its time?

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:04:51 -0700 (MST)

> > economical reason of fuel, launch from the equator are much much cheaper
> > to the slightly lower gravity pull.
> No, its cheaper because of the boost your launch gets from the earths
> rotation. The equator does not have a significantly lower gravity than the

  Correct, though the gravity _is_ ever so slightly less at the equator due to
the oblateness of the Earth.
  My earlier point though, was that it really shouldn't matter _much_ where
you launch from, simply because in the UC era launchers are no longer limited
by kerosene or LOX/LH chemical thrusters. I imagine that basically all HLVs
are fusion-engine powered air-breathing behemoths with some on-board reaction
mass for working in space (OMS engines, etc). If this is true, then it's
simply not that big of a deal to launch from the poles compared to the
equator... i.e., you don't need to WORRY that much about fuel, you can shove
yourself into any orbit you darn well want.

                                                                -Probe