Re: [gundam] Best battleship at its time?

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 18:48:28 -0700 (MST)

> >But in terms of use, can anything beat the good old Salamis Cruiser?
> Well, EVERYTHING has beaten it, if you think about it. :)

  Yeah, but the Salmis is mass-produced, cheap, durable, and apparently
economical to maintain. If you've got to patrol a HUGE amount of space,
I'd rather patrol with a fleet of hundreds of Salmis than a 'fleet' of two
Guadens...

> More seriously, once the Salamis Kai shows up with its tiny hangar bay,
> it soon becomes the standard ship in the fleet. Still as ugly as hell,

  Think that's ugly? In the MG GM modelling manual they show a cool
picture of the battle of solomon (or something) with all these GMs and
Balls rushing into battle... and with a couple Salmis Cruisers flying in
_upside_down_. Now, of course orientation means nothing in space, but for
an already dorky ship flying in upside down just seems to suit its
luckless nature...

> IMO. But useful as a relatively inexpensive means of ferrying the REAL
> weapons to the battlefield, and providing support therof.

  Yeah, it's a pity it never achieved a larger hangar bay... Still, it
must be cool to be the only Mobile Suit pilot on a ship like that, you're
probably treated like a king!
  Hey, how come the Magellan and Salamis cruisers never have a 'gravity
block' arrangement?

                                                                -Probe