Re: [gundam] [OT] Japanese IME with IE5

Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:03:09 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Der UberHanyok wrote:

> ニナ
>
> can any of you guys read that? I think it wrote in katakan but I don't know
> enought japanese to decipher the menus - I suppose its time to pull out the
> japanese books I picked up at the campus bookstore...
>
> PS I sent it as "unicode" whatever that means.

Nope, it's jiblish.

What you had to do was send it as "JIS". And receipient must have
something to be able to read JIS e-mail.

Unicode I believe is international standard character set (I could be
entirely wrong about this), so most likely uses 1 byte for a character.
Many of the oriental character sets uses 2 bytes for a character, so
unicode won't help at all in deciphering, say, JIS.

Kota