[gundam] WOT: Patlabor

Mark Nguyen (mnguyen@hotmail.com)
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:21:26 PST

>Though, Patlabor emphasized comedy-cop show elements more than the
mecha
>elements. Not that it has bad mecha designs.

Ah, but as it has been so accurately put before, Patlabor's universe
operates under the notion that its robots are everyday pieces of
machinery... Most people don't stare up at the average labor in awe (in
fact, in Patlabor most people run away from our heroes in fear!), unless
you were one of the mecha-otaku that piloted the thing ("Alphonse!!!").
It's one of the greater aspects of the series that I enjoy; it's got
giant robots, but the attitude towrards them is almost indifferent for
the most part.

And the designs totally rock! Especially for my personal favorite, the
AV-O Peacemaker. The mecha designs for me rank right after Gundam,
Macross and Escaflowne, in that order. as well, the technology they're
based on doesn't involve super particles or magical energies, but mostly
just refinements of current-day technologies; I'd even hazard to say
that the most sci-fi tech they use is in their computer software. Pick
up some Patlabor today!

Mark-II