Re: [gundam] Civilian Space Travel

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:36:28 -0700 (MST)

> > Curiously enough, it is for this purpose that giant robots were created
> > for in Patlabor (where it actually looks feasible and sensible... almost)
> you know, I've never actually seen patlabor but I had one o the models a long
> time ago. Is it a good series? (I mean, would you recommend it to somebody like
> say, me?) is it a lot of tapes?

  Excellent 'realistic' giant-robot police show/drama.. Well worth it. Two
feature movies, an OAV series, AND a TV series. I've seen tapes of the
movies, OAVs, and TV-shows at local comic-book/video stores for rent, so
check it out!

> > Noble goals? Like feeding the poor and hungry, providing medical care
> > for the destitute, preserving peace in Bosnia or sending cans into outer
> > space? It's, for better and for worse, all part of the same puzzle.
> a good point. just wanted to say that I agree.

  Thanks! It's easy to get caught up in the glitz of seductive
technologies and forget the people getting crushed under the ivory
pillars. One of the things that's always bugged me about anime is how all
the 'trials and tribulations' generally affect the super-wealthy or
techno-proffessional classes of anime-society and rarely have anything to
do with the 'peasants'. You would think Gundam would be the best place to
see the effects of massive social/economic/military/ecological upheaval
on the general public, but this seems to be rarely shown (ESPECIALLY in
the modern techno-feudal Gundam shows.)

                                                                -Probe