Re: [gundam] Civilian Space Travel

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:28:01 -0700 (MST)

> > particular application, at least, not for self-sustaining power. The
> Just because there is no one yet willing to work the problem out now, does
> not mean the a solution is impossible. Breaking the sound bearer used to be

  Oh, that's not true at all!
  People are _more_ than willing to work on it now, but just as the
ancient greeks couldn't have possible achieved flight technology or
Bessimer converters, so is this technology beyond the current state of our
own currently.

> sure in any case as to whether one will ever be invented. As to a Hall-Effect
> based thruster, I would need to know more. The tools I maintain use

  I'll have to check again, there was a nice article on the first
satellite to use it for thrust a few months ago in Av-Week.

> Is it another way of describing a Bussard Ram?

  No. It's effectively a much more powerful Ion-like engine of some type,
I don't recall the details. What I do recall is that it produces a
beautiful hot blue-white colored 'plume' that looks surprisingly like a
MS-engine-flame!
  As for Bussard Rams, they're a pretty hopeless idea for real
interstellar travel.

> boats, so I would say that, yes indeed, a modern day steam powered nuclear
> vessel is powered in the same way as the Roman toy. Again, perspective.

  Okay.
                                                        -Probe