Re: [gundam] Civilian Space Travel

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:13:30 -0700 (MST)

> > In the same way that we 'have' the technology to make sub-ocean
> >colonies. I.e., the basic technologies are there, but we simply aren't
> of course the important word here is "cost-effective" - I'm sure it could be
> done very efficiently if money wasn't an issue, but then again, so could most

  Curiously enough, it is for this purpose that giant robots were created
for in Patlabor (where it actually looks feasible and sensible... almost)
We see something like this in the Zaku tank and the Junior MS worksuits,
but it's always bugged me that we've never seen any truly huge multilegged
colony-construction mega-MS type robots. (Sandhoge is about as close as
Gundam gets to one).

> things. (I have this little theory that humanity shouldn't be so concerned with
> dollars and should strive for more... noble... goals, but that's gettin a bit
> too off topic.)

  Noble goals? Like feeding the poor and hungry, providing medical care
for the destitute, preserving peace in Bosnia or sending cans into outer
space? It's, for better and for worse, all part of the same puzzle.

                                                                -Probe