Re: [gundam] Gundam VS GMs Answered

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:44:27 -0700 (MST)

> This isn't a matter of controversy: The GM absolutely does not have a
> learning computer. The learning computer in the Gundam, like that of the

  This is sort of confirmed by Burning, who actually turns off some of the
programmed 'restraints' in his GM's computer to do off-the-wall stunts. If
he had a Heuristic computer at his disposal, this wouldn't have been
necessary.

> program the mass-produced units. This gives every GM a certain base level
> of fighting skill, which helps compensate for the Federation's
> inexperienced pilots.

  Yeah, effectively each pilot fought "Just like Amuro is fighting there
beside you!" YeeeHAW!

> suits; for all we know, a test run with a learning computer-equipped
> prototype might be a standard part of the mobile suit development process,
> though we've never seen this illustrated in the animation.

  It does make sense though, it could be another reason why hero-Gundam MS
seem to get better and better as the series goes on (Well, it's anime
drama, but at least we can posit a good reason for it.)
  But you've forgotten one great example of this: The ALICE system from
Gundam Sentinel! This could well be called the natural evolution of the
original Gundam's learning machine.

> It's not just the lack of gravity that makes Luna titanium so boss -
> otherwise the Zeons would have it too, eh? Rather, it's the product of a
> long, complicated, and expensive manufacturing process that can only be
> performed in space... much like Gundam W's Gundanium alloy.

 Ah, okey dokie. I thought it was simply supposed to be "Foamed Titanium"
or something like that... Would be nice to have a show where one of the
Plebe's has a GM with a 'magic torso' that happens to have had slabs of
lunar-titanium 'tailings' (or leftovers from the Gundam pilot) armoring
its upper body. Instant hero!

> >continuity, but if it IS, then it stands to reason that _those_ GMs would
> >have the same sort of armor as the Gundam.
> Not so, as noted above. And yes, Luna Two was one of the production sites

  Ah, too bad.

> for the GM, though Jaburo was obviously the main one. I'd expect that, up
> until the end of the war, Luna Two was probably busy cranking out Balls
> (which would seem to be harder to construct under gravity, eh?).

  Possible, but I'd be shocked if the Fed was producing _anything_ other
than GMs once they had the design ready to go. I mean, I'd wager they had
every factory on the planet capable of production, producing genuine GM
parts!

                                                                -Probe