Re: [gundam] Gundam VS GMs Answered

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:57:04 -0700 (MST)

> Although Ground units didn't have the same Backpack as the Gundam.

  I dunno... the 8MST GM seems to have the exact same backpack (Sans
sabers) that the Gundam has.

> The Armor is inferior material, but many of the parts are the same.

  Same design, pretty much the same _material_, but it's produced in
gravity rather than the low-gee production of the Gundam's lunar titanium
armor. So it's more of a lower _quality_ armor.

> Armor plating, as the shield is just a throw away like todays blowoff
> armor for tanks it is reasonable to assume they both used the same
> shield.

  Makes sense...

> The GM has a more compact Torso section which keeps more of the
> cooling units, and others vital systems behind the thicker torso armor.

  Yep. Better protection, but quite probably not re-entry capable (which
is hard to swallow with the original Gundam as well.)

> Nobody agreed on the ammo carried by the GM Vulcans, because the
> GM has a smaller head than the Gundam, but it has only one sensor in

  If it's smaller, it's not _much_ smaller. And the Gundam has extra vents
in the 'wrap around' thing it has around its head than the GM has, so one
could argue that the GM has more 'usable volume' than the gundam!

> begin piloting the thing. Or does one complement the other in that once
> the Gundam learned all it needed the GM would never need one because
> all of the data they would ever need was gathered by the Gundam.

  That would be my bet.

> them, so expectations were lowered a bit for the soldier's mecha, and thus
> was the GM born. Mark also illustrates the 08th MS mecha as being sort of
> half way long in that process, in the period that the timeline says the Feds

  Which makes some sense. The Fed would have made fleets of gundams if
they could have afforded it, and armored them with LT if they had orbital
facilities.
  Now, I've heard that there were some Fed factories producing GMs on
"Luna Two" or something like that. I don't know how true that is in the
continuity, but if it IS, then it stands to reason that _those_ GMs would
have the same sort of armor as the Gundam.

> of course I can seen Zeon tabloids selling that story, FEDERATION MS KILLS
> GARMA ZAVI, and of course no one still knows Amuro's name.

  Yep, makes sense to me!
                                                        -Probe