Re: [gundam] Civilian Space Travel

Der UberHanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:05:59 -0500

> I've loaned out all my rocket scince books, so I can't run through some
>sample math for you at the moment, but the upshot is that the
>constant-thrust school of space travel is simply impossible with chemical
>rocket engines. Ion engines can reach much higher velocities thanks to
>their higher efficiency, but they yield pretty low acceleration, so you
>have to be very patient...
>
>-- Mark

What about nuclear engines? I know people made a big fuss about a rocket that
was launched a year or so back because it had a nuclear power source... couldn't
some kind of reactor work, or do I just have a misunderstanding of the way those
things work?

Super Matt Hanyok 2 Turbo EX Plus Alpha Hyper Fighting Editon
mhanyo1@umbc.edu
"I have my own little world, one that I escape too when things get too
complicated. Its an odd place, but I'm the only one who lives there, ever. It's
rather nice, actually."