Re: [gundam] Beam weapon and safety range

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:14:07 -0700 (MST)

> the upper limit is the F90-IIL's huge rifle, with a hundred-kilometer
> range. Atmospheric scattering would limit this range somewhat, but in

  That can't be the maximum range, I mean, what about the "Zanneck" That
was shooting at ground targets from geostationary orbit? That's
considerably higher than 100Km, though I guess you wouldn't really
consider its weapon to be a rifle (Since effectively the entire robot
powers the rifle).

> episode 9 of 08th MS Team, Sanders is still able to hit a Zaku from a
> ten-kilometer range (with, admittedly, extreme dificulty).

  That's a bit odd, considering it ought to have been out of sensor range,
right? Maybe this is improved because of the sights _on_ the weapons? Hey,
finally a reason why all those guns have funky telescope-sights on them!
It certainly explains the big ol' radar dish on the Gundam's gun!

> he nails the Birmingham with the GP02A's nuke. I'd assume that the listed
> sensor radius is with respect to a mobile suit-sized target.

  That makes more sense... And it's also possible that, like in Heavy
Gear, this is a "Combat Situation" sensor range, taking into account
battlefield M-Particle conditions, etc. When doing a sneak attack or
ambush your range might be considerably greater!

                                                                -Probe