Re: [gundam] More MG news

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:01:22 -0700 (MST)

> > have loved to have seen what those cannons could have done against a
> > _Capitol_Ship_!
> That is what I think it is designed to hit, a capital ship. GM Cannon II is
> a bit slow to try to hit fast moving target like MS unless the MS is
> directly in front of the beam cannon. But a capital ship would not fare as
> well against that.

  I was thinking that, it seems to be rather useless for MS combat. But
you know, it's such a bulky slow MS it's hard to imagine it getting CLOSE
enough to a Battleship to shoot it down! Plus, it's already been
established in MSG that a Gundam's little beam rifle is enough to trash a
capitol ship all on its own..... so why do you need those big honking
cannons?

  I think there are a couple possible reasons:
        1. The GMC is designed to operate in formation with GMs who help
        it get close to capitol ships
        2. The big fat cannons are that way to give the GMC more _range_
        not necessarily more hitting power at range.
        3. The big chobham slabs on the GMC are designed to make up for
        its probably miserable close-in combat performance.

  On the Earth surface, it may be the equivalent of a heavy AAA-mecha,
designed to blast away at enemy aircraft and especially to prevent those
huge Zeon air-transports from landing, as well as for attacking heavily
entrenched Zeon bases and formations. Basically, a light artillery MS!

                                                                -Probe