Re: [gundam] More MG news

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:33:45 -0700 (MST)

> > releasing 1/144 "renewal" versions of the older kits, downscaling MG
> > production values to smaller and more affordable kits (I assume we can take
> Ahem... excuse me while I go nuts...

   Rejoice Brother! The time is nigh! Bandai has heard the Will of the
Fanboys and the Classics shall be ours! It's a sign, the end of the
millenium approaches! Build now, and hail to the Plastic Warrior!

> Honestly this is the first piece of exciting news in a long time. You may

  Yeah! It's the best thing since the MG GM!

> know me as the opiniated one who get pissed by this and that. But I am
> finally excited about something! Somebody pinch me!

  (SLAP!)

> > First up: A 1/144 Guncannon, makeover courtesy of Hajime Katoki, priced
> How appropriate that the Guncannon is the first one! That tells me that
> what they have in mind is exactly what I have been hoping for: a (nearly)
> complete 0079 line of decent quality models at any scale. That it happens

  Right! It's about darned time, and very sensical considering that
Animevillage is releasing MSG finally in the US! It's about time we had
some great redesigns of those classic MS1

> to be 1/144 and affordable is a super bonus. I have been collecting 1/144
> scale because it's really the only complete line. The Guncannon is an

  Very good point. I usually get all of the 1/144s, and 1/100s only if
it's not available smaller or if the smaller kit really sucks.

> design will allow the Guncannon to go to the "fire from hands-and-knees"
> pose that Amuro used so effectively when he fended off Ranba Ral.

  Yep! Even though that is really silly looking...

> Gann is a good choice too. If they are really doing what I have in mind,
> the next few should be: Jiong, Zugock, Guntank. Those should sell like

  Makes sense to me, though a 1/144 Ziong is gonna be BIG. Still, maybe it
can have some opening panels and stuff! After all, they did make the
Gundam Hydra (Basically an updated Ziong) why not do the real thing?

> hot cakes because they are popular designs that had never seen a good
> model. The other path to take is of course to scale down the MGs, so

  Absolutely, after all, that's why the Gouf kits from 8MST were such a
smash hit! Finally, bandai's using its head!

> Gelgoog, Zaku, Gundam, GM, and Dom (if it does come out in June). Can I

  They've already done a mini-MG Zak for the 8MST line, and the Gouf is
effectively the same kind of idea... it would be great to see downsized
versions of all of those MG kits!

> If they do a fairly complete line, there would be about 12-20 models. That
> will make me so happy (and poor) you won't believe it! Sigh... they

  Yeeehaw! Rejoice!

> probably won't devote that much manpower to redesign the models and carve
> the new molds and all that. There's no way they will dump 12 HG models

  Hey, they're all computer redesigned these days anyway, and so many of
these robots have appeared in CGI software already so maybe they'll just
cut-n-paste the designs!

> AND a PG AND 4 or 5 MGs into the market within a year. And who knows how
> low the interest level will drop after the 20th Anniversary Big Bang Orgy

  My opinion is that this new 1/144 line will produce maybe 4-5 designs
tops and then it will end abruptly as interest fades after Big Bang,
still, we can hope!
                                                        -Probe